Chapter 1: A misfortunate soul

Any Warnings: Abuse, Violence, Swearing (let me know if there are any others :])

The locker door slammed,causing William to jump from the sudden noise. He let out a sigh. He turned his locker combination, struggling as it went from left to right to right to left. A voice was heard from behind William. "Do you perhaps need assistance?" the voice spoke.

William jumped, not expecting anyone to even talk to him. He turned to the person, giving a sheepish smile before replying. "Oh, yes please! that would be delightful, thank you.." William paused. Too nervous to ask for the young boy's name.

"You can call me Arthur! Arthur Gold! You are?" The boy said. "William, William Jones. It's nice to meet your acquaintance!" He spoke, his voice giving off a kind and friendly aura.

William fiddled with the lock, trying to budge it open. "Need a hand?" Arthur offered, reaching his hand out to the lock as William nodded in reply. "Um-.. Yeah, thank you." He said. "Don't Sweat it, what's your combination?" Arthur asked.

"Oh, it's 9734" Arthur nodded as he turned the numbers a few times before getting it open. "There we go! Do you need help with any of your classes and directions or are you good to go?" Arthur offered kindly. "Really, some help would be great, thanks" William replied. "What do you have for your 1st period?" Arthur asked, "I have maths," William said with a groan of frustration. Although the boy was smart, maths was not a thing he was quite fond of. "I've got that too! I'll walk with you!" Arthur exclaimed excitedly. "Sounds Splendid!" William responded, a hint of excitement in his tone of voice as well.

The two boys walked off to class, sharing laughs and smiles with each other. They both claimed the maths class was boring as they wrote down notes and formulas. The class ended and the boys said their goodbyes and headed to their next classes.

The day passed on and the bell rang indicating that school had ended and it was time for the students to leave.

William headed home dreadfully. Dreading going home to his father. One could only hope he wasn't home yet.

He opened the door, scanning the living room before beginning to walk up to his room quietly, his shoulders tensing as his eyes scanned the room frantically while he walked. "Where do you think you're going?" A voice spoke up, Their words slurred and their voice threatening. William froze, his lips pursing. "No..nowhere sir." William muttered.

"Speak up." the voice said again. "Nowhere sir." William answered, his words benign clearer now. "You were late." The voice spoke, a bitter tone to their voice. Their words remained slurred. William turned to the Voice. His father's voice. "By 6 minutes father. I apologise sincerely." William spoke. His lips still pursed and his grip tightening on his book bag.

"I am not your father. Not to a disgrace like you." Robert spoke as he approached William. "I'm sorry sir." William murmured.

SMASH!

Williams' breath hitched as the sound of glass breaking filled the room. He looked over to the direction of the sound, a broken beer bottle shattered on the floor. Green shattered glass scattered around the floor. Robert stepped closer. William froze completely. Not being able to react or move as his hands shook lightly with fear.

Robert thought for a moment before kneeing William in the stomach. Causing him to stumble. "You're nothing but trouble William.." He exclaimed, his voice harsh. William felt like his chest was being torn apart. The feeling of being called all these things is almost unbearable.

Robert Kicked him again. This time causing him to fall backwards, he propped himself up with his elbows in an attempt to get himself back up. "Pathetic.." Robert mumbled. Putting his foot harshly on Williams chest, making him stay down.