TWO| MEETING HER

*******

𝐒𝐡𝐞'𝐬 𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐞: 𝐀. 𝐂𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐧 𝐱 𝐁. 𝐒𝐰𝐚𝐧

**************

━━━━✧༺✶༻✧ ━━━━━

{TWILIGHT}

━━━━✧༺✶༻✧ ━━━━━

· · ─────── · STARTING SCHOOL · ─────── · ·

BELLA'S POV:

I didn't sleep well that night, the constant whooshing of the rain and wind across the roof wouldn't fade into the background. It was so annoying, I pulled the faded old blanket over my head, and later added the pillow, too.

I finally fell asleep but it was after midnight, when the rain finally settled into a quieter drizzle. Thick fog was all I could see out my window in the morning. Breakfast with Charlie was a quiet event. He wished me good luck at school.

I thanked him, knowing his hope was wasted. Good luck tended to avoid me. Charlie left first, off to the police station. After he left, I sat at the old square oak table in one of the two chairs and examined his small kitchen, with its blueish walls, bright greenish cabinets.

Nothing was changed. I get up of the chair and decide to head to the living room, over to the fireplace in the adjoining handkerchief-sized family room was a row of pictures. First a wedding picture of Charlie and my mom in Las Vegas.

Then one of the three of us in the hospital after I was born, taken by a helpful nurse, followed by the procession of my school pictures up to last year's. Those were embarrassing to look at - I didn't want to be too early to school, but I couldn't stay in the house anymore.

I got my jacket - and headed out into the rain. It was just drizzling still, not enough to soak me through immediately as I reached for the house key that was always hidden under the eaves by the door, and locked up.

The sloshing of my new waterproof boots was unnerving. I missed the normal crunch of gravel as I walked.

.....

The school was, like most other things, just off the highway. It was not obvious that it was a school; only the sign, which declared it to be the Forks High School, made me stop. I parked in front of the building.

I stepped unwillingly out of the toasty truck cab and walked down the stone path that leads to the school. I took a deep breath before opening the door. I looked at the map while walking, trying to memorize it now.