nine.

THREE DAYS

THREE DAYS. It had been three days since Daniela had left the house claiming she needed space, leaving behind a worried and confused Rafaella who watched as her oldest daughter left just like she did three years ago, and a panicked Noah who believed her oldest sister was leaving for good again.

After promising to come back before the end of the week, Daniela had gotten into her black Mercedes — which had arrived with her sports bike that same morning — and drove as far away as she could.

It had also been three days since Nicholas left his home without a word. It wasn't unusual for him to disappear so no one found it to be concerning, but if anyone thought the two might've been connected somehow, nobody commented on it.

Daniela was currently staying at a hotel two hours away from the place she now called home. The hotel was near the beach, something she purposely picked while looking for a place to stay.

Her fight-or-flight instincts had kicked in as soon as she had arrived home from the race. She quickly bid goodbye to everyone before rushing into the house and packing a small bag with enough clothes to last a few days. By the time she came back out in an appropriate outfit to inform her mom about leaving, Nick was nowhere to be found.

His touch was permanently seared into her brain and if she focused hard enough, she could still feel his hand on her skin and taste the cigarettes and mint on her lips.

The dull ache from her still-injured hand reminded her of the red bandana she had shoved to the bottom of her bag, traces of his scent still on it.

During the day, she swore she saw and heard him a few times while out on the beach. During the night, she kept waking up drenched in cold sweat from heated dreams involving her and Nick in compromising positions. She was barely sleeping due to it.

A simple kiss had caused her to spiral.

Aside from the consuming thoughts of Nick, guilt had been eating at her for the past few days and it was driving her insane.

He was her stepbrother and she knew what they had done was wrong. Her mother was happily married to Will, so kissing her new husband's son wasn't okay at all. She had seen all that her mother had endured while growing up and the last thing she wanted to do was ruin it for her.

The girl was currently sitting on the sand of an almost empty beach, watching as the waves crashed into the rocks located at the far end of the beach. The sun was slowly rising as it welcomed a new day. It was early in the morning, seven to be exact, so she had a few hours to herself before the rowdy beachgoers began to plague the beach with their loud music.

Her phone buzzed and she turned to look at the notification on her screen. It was a text from her mother asking her how she was and if she could please come back by tomorrow for Will's gala. She quickly replied letting her know that she was fine and that she would try to make it, before hitting send.