1

~5 years ago~
I was sitting on our tree in the backyard, my step mother as drunk and partying as ever. She was having another party, which was once a week.

My name is Rose, and I am 8. My mother died when I was a kid, and we never got to bury her because her body disppeared. My father got very vicious, and slapped me once, but not too hard because that was when I was being mean to him.

Hey, I'm a girl, gotta have some sass.

He found this lady I call my stepmother, and abandoned us. Guess he just wanted to get me off his back. I started reading when I was 3, and i'm pretty mature for my age I guess. I love my comic books though, as good as the Sherlock Holmes Cases book is. My very favorite comic book is Tron. How Kevin Flynn got stuck in the grid and stuff.

Oh! Geez! You got to remind me to stop blabbering like that.

I guess my stepmother really liked my dad because she was almost never drunk, and when she wasn't, she was sick. We got loans from the neighbors, Ms. And Mr. Righne. I mostly sleep and eat there.. Ms Righne is unable to have kids, but she loves having me over because Mr. Righne is always at work. We all agreed on me moving in with them and moving altogether to Florence, Italy. I don't know why, but they say they have family there and it's safe.

We all even went to court and signed a contract for me to live with them.

I was supposed to tell my step mother tonight.. but I can't find her. A guys probably making out with her....again. I have my luggage in the tree with me actually, after making many trips down the tree to bring them up. The moons so bright.. but the stars are gonna burn my eyes if I don't look away, so bright oh god my eyes- ahh!!!! (after ten minutes of rubbing eyes)

Okay. I'm good.

I should probably go tell her now.. hopefully I can find her. I'm getting sleepy, and that little bed that Ms. Rhine made for me sounds great.

I slowly climb down the tree hugging for dear life, from how tall it is. When I reach the ground something pricks my foot making me jump. A rose thorn?

But.. no rose.. oh, I see what I did there.

I shrug it off and open the backdoor. Of course my ears are imediately deafened by the loud and incomprehensible words coming from the speakers. The floor is littered in pizza, beer bottles, and ever so often, passed out people. I wandered down the hallway to the laundry room, where I luckily found my step mom making out with... another woman.

Okay. I'm.. perfectly fine with that.

I closed the laundry door which caught my step moms attention and blocking out the sound a tad just enough for talk. "Oh, Rose, this is A-" "I, don't need introductions," I shook my head. My step mother looked at me confusedly and slurred, "Is something wrong?" I shook my head.

"I'm moving. With the Rhines, the neighbors. You can't take care of me, your always so drunk and sick. I've leaned how to make hamburgers because you can't even feed me. So, I'm leaving. Goodbye, stepdrunk.."

I opened the door only for my hand to be grabbed. "P..P-Please stay.. I'll do better.. i'm sorry Rose.." I sighed. She does this every time I point her out.. "Your too late, I'm sorry. But I'm going."

And I walked out the backgate, with my luggage, to never return again.