² the boyfriend

SINCE YESTERDAY, Jess hasn't left my mind. Leaving me feeling incredibly guilty. My usual daydreams have shifted to being about him. I've been texting back and forth with Jake all morning, just to serve as a friendly reminder. Fortunately, I'm still in love with Jake, and I have a seriously good feeling that we're going to make long-distance work.

"Aw, I didn't know you got that diner worker's phone number," my mom says as she walks in the kitchen. I quickly look up.

"What do you mean?"

"You're just smiling at your phone a lot. I figured you were texting someone."

"I am texting someone, my boyfriend. My real, live boyfriend, Mom." Even though I'm telling this to her, I should almost be saying it to myself as an affirmation.

"Oh, you still have a thing with Jake? Sorry, you making eyes at the diner waiter caused me to forget, I guess."

"I've been dating Jake for nearly a year now. What about you making eyes at the other diner waiter? Didn't you and Dad just recently finalize the divorce?"

"Ouch. Touche." As she's about to pour the coffee grounds into a filter, she stops herself. "Hey, speaking of, let's go to Luke's for breakfast. Get to know some regulars and whatnot." Of course I agree, and it only takes a couple minutes to walk over there.

We quickly discover that one of our neighbors' names is Kirk, and the house on the other side is also up for sale. The "For Sale" sign is pretty beaten up, and the lawn obviously hasn't been mowed very recently. I guess it's no one's job to worry about that, and clearly no one wants to move in.

We get to the diner, and for some reason I feel nervous. I'm wearing jorts and a white tank top with my converse, I didn't think an outfit through, and I forgot to put on mascara. Of course, the first person I see is Jess from the other day. I try to roll my eyes to convince myself I have nothing to do with him, I really don't even know him. And besides, I have other things to worry about. Like unpacking boxes and decorating my room and stuff.

And besides, he's talking to someone else. There's two girls sitting at the diner bar, the younger one is talking to Jess and the older one is talking to the other man, who I assume is the diner owner. The diner owner locks eyes with my mom's and makes his way over to our table.

"What can I get you girls today?" The man asks.

"Hi, what's your name?" My mom asks. It's embarassing to watch this, she so clearly has some sort of crush on this man.

"What's the name of the diner?"

"Luke's?"

"Congratulations! You could figure it out all by yourself. Now what can I get for you." My mom's face turns pink and I smile. Jess comes out of the doorway in the back, probably having heard the commotion, and my eyes shift to him. His face practically lights up when he sees me, and he starts to walk towards us.

"Hey, excuse me, is he bothering you?" Jess asks, coming up behind Luke. "Something you have to know about Luke is he's very short-tempered, so you should probably give him your order before he throws you out of his diner."

"What the hell, Jess?" Luke drops his notepad on the table. "I'll throw you out of the damn diner, how would you like that? Huh?" Somewhere in his rant he takes Jess into a headlock and Jess is gripping onto Luke's arms.

"You're insane!" Jess yells, and we watch as Luke picks him up from under his shoulders, swings open the door, and literally throws him out of the diner. He lands right on his ass, and stands up quickly, in a huff. Jess chooses not to go back in, he looks at me one more time and shakes his head. I smile at him and he walks away.