Chapter 1

I sat up, looking out the window of my two story home. A small smile creeped up my face as I slowly got out of bed, making sure not to wake my husband. Stepping out of our room, I made my way towards the bathroom, getting ready to start my day.

I was looking through the bills on the table when my husband came down the steps. Kissing my forehead, he walked over to the frig, starting to make his homemade hash for us. I smiled lovingly as he worked around the kitchen, grabbing ingredients as he worked. I continued looking over the bills when he started speaking.

"Any plans for the day?"

I shrugged, thinking about all the things that needed to be done around the house.

"I was thinking about getting some errands done before hitting the gym. Lord knows this house doesn't function without me. "

Playfully smiling, Brandon sat my plate of food in front of me, kissing my forhead before leaving back upstairs. Sighing, I took out my daily planner and started making a to-do list;shoveling the delicious food in my mouth at the same time.

**************************************
Holding my phone close to my face, I maneuvered my cart around the store, searching for all the groceries on my list. Tapping my food, I searched around the aisle for what I needed when my cart rammed into someone else's. Instantly, looking up my mouth opened to apologize  when I and the other shopper locked eyes.

"Mari?"

It took a mental slap before my mouth was finally able to move.

"H-Hey Darnell"

He smiled, leaning in to hug me. Reaching over the cart, I leaned forward to meet his hug.

"Wow, it's been so long. How have you been?"

I shrugged, waving him off.

"It's been a while, hasn't it? I'm doing really well. I heard you moved outta state?"

Darnell smiled sheepishly

"Well, you know how it is, following your dreams,"

I nodded.

"So what did that mean for you?"

I asked, curious about how his life was going all these years later.

"I'm starting up a company here in New York. Nothing major, just something I've been chewing on for some time know. "

I nodded again, impressed with the man I saw before me.

"I'm impressed. What's the app? If you don't mind me asking?"

He fanned me off, stepping closer so people could get in the aisle. Looking around, I completely forgot where I was, and the embarrassment was written all over my face.

"I don't think this is the best place to catch up. Maybe we can grab some ice cream sometime. Properly get to know the new us."

"Ice cream, really Darnell?"

Smiling, he shrugged his shoulders. 

"You know me, I can never resist sweats"

He glanced over at his cart and that's when I noticed that he had nothing but junk food in his cart. Shaking my head, I laughed at the childish antics. 

"I would like that a lot. Here,"

I handed my phone to him, signaling for him to give me his number.

"Text me the ice cream place you wanna meet at."

Darnell smiled again, thinking for a moment.

"How about that small ice cream shop I used to take you to, remember?"

I nodded, bighting my lip.

"Yeah . . . I do. So I'll see you then. "

He knodded, grabbing his cart to make his way out of the aisle.

**************************************