Chapter 2: 1916

1916 in Chicago was an interesting place to be. It has been 53 years, 4 months and 21 days since I left Jasper at the battle camp. From the stories I've heard in the underground, our Italian monarchs came to put a stop to the newborn rebellions in th Confederacy, but Jasper, or as he became known, "The Blonde Devil", had deserted long before that. It gave me the tiniest sliver of hope, knowing that he was out there somewhere. " I will find you." One of the very last things he said to me. I held on to that message with an iron grip. 

Silently, I roamed the shadowed alleyways of Chicago looking for a particular office door. Then, I found him. Dr. Cullen, PhD. An outcast of the Chicago nomad scene, he practiced an alternative way of eating in this life. He fed off of animals. I had to see him, had to ask. My formerly bright red eyes were now a muddy maroon due to the fact that I have been starving myself for years now, hiding in shadows. As I approached the back door to his clinic, the door swung open. A blonde male stood there, not much older than I physically but with striking blonde hair and golden eyes. "Come, dear child. You must have many questions."

With a gentle hand on the cusp of my back, he led me into his office. Dirty and, despite my best efforts, insanely curious, I sat down in a luxurious chair across from his desk. "You know what I am, just as I know what you are, correct?" I asked. He laughed a little.

"I admire your uncensored thoughts when you speak your mind. The answer is yes. What questions do you have? What is your past like?"

And so I began to tell him my story. Most of my mortal memories had faded except for the event of the turn. I told him about Maria and life during the newborn wars. I told him of Jasper Whitlock and how I wished dearly to see my mate again. I told him of my time floating around different nomadic tribes, and how there's nowhere I like more than the Olympic Peninsula.

"Wow. You have gone through so much, it is incredibly brave of you to come and seek my help. Why don't you stay with me for a year or two and I can help you learn the ropes of this life? Only if you feel comfortable with it Catherine." 

I nodded excitedly. "Yes, Dr. Cullen! Thank you so much for this opportunity."

"Please dear, call me Carlisle."

Two years have passed since then. Since I had already been starving for two decades, it didn't take long for me to adapt to the new diet. Carlisle was impressed with my speedy adaptation. One night, Carlisle came home from the hospital, a frail boy in his arms twitching an unmistakable twitch. I stiffened up. "You've turned him?" I asked curiously. "Yes dear. His name is Edward Anthony Masen, and his mother's dying wish was to save her boy from his bout against the influenza. He seems a gentle soul."

  I went into my room, rolling out the suitcase and grabbing my coat from the hall closet of our rather cozy apartment. I turned to see a mixture of fondness and sadness grace Carlisle's face. "Must you leave?" He asked. I smiled softly. "Carlisle, you have been an incredible father figure and role model in this life. You have flipped my life upside down and for the better. You will need the space, trust me, newborns are no easy feat. I will come and visit you eventually, dear friend. Thank you. And remember-" He laughed as he gave me a hug, walking my suitcase to the door and opening it for me as he wrapped a scarf around my neck. "I know dear. If I ever cross paths with Jasper, tell him you're still waiting. I promise." He brushed a speck of dust off my shoulders as I stepped through the doorway.

"Be safe!"

*Carlisle's POV, 1950*

Its been quite some time, 42 years to be exact, since Catherine O'Brien left my doorstep. Since then, my family has only grown. I now have Edward, as well as my mate Esme, and Rosalie & her mate Emmett. We turned on the evening radio as the doorbell rang. Esme dialed down the volume as the other three tensed, holding their metaphorical breaths as I approached the door. I opened it, only to be greeted by a short pixie haired woman and a rather tall but lean blonde male decorated in half-moon scars that I recognized as the bite marks of our kind. 

"My name is Alice, and this us Jasper. I've seen that we become family and you are the ones who help Jasper reconnect with his love. Will you let us join you?" I racked my name for where I knew that name. Jasper. Jasper.... "Of course you may. Come in, please, we were just about to begin the evening radio." The pair came in to the room and while Rosalie and Emmett stayed tense, Edward relaxed almost immediately. I look at Jasper, still trying to grasp for straws with his name.

 "Young man, what is your name?" I asked the blonde. He turned to me. "The name is Jasper, sir. Jasper Whitlock."

It hit me then, like a speeding train. "Major Jasper Whitlock, youngest major in the Texas 32nd Battalion of the Confederate Army." He tensed up as he looked at me, fear and curiosity captivating his gaze. "How do you know all of that about me, sir?"

I smiled gently. "Catherine O'Brien. Quite a few years ago now, she came to me. Asked me to teach her about the life we lead. For two years she stayed wit me and learned all she could. The day I brought Edward home, she had already packed her bags and was going to set off to god knows where. The very last thing she said to me was this. "If you ever cross paths with Jasper Whitlock, tell him I'm still waiting."" It was at that moment I felt a rush of pure joy and sadness at the same time. The feeling was so overwhelming that I had to sit down. Alice spoke up then. "Jasper's gift is an elaborate form of empathy," she explained "and I get premonitions of the future."

"I'll find you soon, darling" was the only whisper that escaped Jasper's mouth for the rest of the night.

Word Count: 1086

(A/N: Sorry for the short chapter, it was kinda filler kinda important plot points, I'm working on it. This is the most I've felt motivated to write in such a long time.)