Chapter 3

After Mubarak got Asghari ready, they headed to Mumtaz' mujra. Mumtaz was performing on the elegant carpet, surrounded by the glowing oil lamps that were shaped like flowers. She danced to the beat of the tabla, the mystical sound of the sitar and santoor accompanying her, she twirled along with her blazing red anarkali. Her long red dupatta moved like a feather, and her golden jewellry twinkled.

There were many guests invited. Silk cushions were put on the floor for reclining. Asghari took a seat next to Zohra on the cushions. Fauqiyah was sitting alongside her attendants, Abadi and Mubarak.

Fauqiyah felt gratified by Mumtaz' talent

"How stunning! Don't you agree Abadi?"

"You are correct Fauqiyah Saheb! Verily, she possesses utmost talent in this kotha..."

Zohra offered a piece of paan to Asghari.

"Don't you think she's quite talented, Asghari? I think she dances quite enchantingly"

Asghari looked down. "Why would you ask me? I don't have much experience in dance anyway, right?"

"With your training starting tomorrow, you will be even better then her, no doubt you will be the most dazzling tawaif in this entire city!"

"I hope so! I can only wish."

"Hazaron khwahishein aisi ki har khwahish pe dam nikle"

"Bohat nikle mire arman lekin phir bhi kam nikle"

Mumtaz sung each lyric gracefully.

After the mehfil had concluded, Asghari was taken to her new room. Basking in resplendence, it had a jhoola hanging over the intricate carpet, the bedsheets of the khatiya were shades of red and maroon. Oil lamps lit like colorful stars, a hookah next to the bedside table. The whole room had the strong fragnance of ittar in it's stupor.

Asghari sat down at the table, gazing at her own reflection in her mirror. She brushed her dark hair, reminiscing.

Soon the next morning came. The golden rays of the sunlight came through the velvet curtains. Suddenly in her sleep, Asghari heard a knock come on the wooden doors.

"Asghari! Asghari! Open the door!"

"Coming!"

She forced herself to get up, throwing the silk blanket to the side, and opened the doors to see Abadi.

"Alright, Asghari, today is the day you start your training. Your dance and music lessons start today"

"Today? Already?"

"Of course! Now get ready, Mubarak will take you to the training room"

"I will..."

Abadi turned around to leave the room, closing the wooden door. She then saw Fauqiyah waiting behind her like a shadow. Her eyes indicated for Mubarak to follow her.

Fauqiyah's eyebrows furrowed in thought. "Abadi, lets go somewhere private to talk in secrecy"

"Why, what is It? It's almost time for Asghari's training and—"

"Just come with me."

Abadi and Fauqiyah went to the splendid window. The view displayed the busy bazaar, people scurrying here and there, lost in their thoughts. Fauqiyah rested her palm on the handrail, gathering her thoughts before she could speak.

"This Asghari, thank you for bringing her to the kotha as I asked"

"There's no problem, whatever you ask for shall surely come true, Fauqiyah Saheb"