A Cloudy Feeling

The field around them was dark and the rainfall reflecting against their lamps and torches did not help, spectres of the fallen were rising from the soil, created through the steam of bodies and the thick fog around them; kind of like zombies in a B-movie, horrific sight needless to say. Each step was quiet but the shuffling of their backpacks, the weapon they were holding, the small breaths they took to listen for what could be a killer, surreal could not describe it, supernatural maybe. Maggots hissed and pulsated, nesting in the mutilated and royally torn up bodies of the fallen, both friend and foe, the stink of death masked the smell of gunfire and smoke. He could see a companion, a fellow troop, his gear and clothes were similar but his features were covered in shadows, he pointed to a cave a short ways off. When they arrived the entrance had cloth and sticks holding up a wooden door, someone had made this their abode "Some of our men were stationed here months back, rations are the usual but are still edible, even left us some gifts!" he pulled the door down and covered the entrance with the cloth, the rain still pooled around the entrance but so long as it didn't reach the sleeping station or electronics it was fine.

"Man, this is not what I signed up for! Thought I would be cleaning toilets and playing cards, or some games." the friendly lit up a smoke and sat down on a bed, Coco joined him and handed over some snack bars "Appreciate it!" he lifted up his helm and lowered the bandanna around his mouth and nose, he smiled after taking a bite and handed over the cigarette "You sure? I mean, you already took some an-" "It's fine! We can share this one." he gulped "S-Share? But my mouth would have been on it!" the other laughed, he took off his helmet and revealed piercing, bright blue eyes "Why would I mind that? Do you need to connect with my lips first?" "Huh? What no, no! I don't mean-" the other bear laughed and leaned forward, grabbing it back "Need more of my spit?" he took another hit, coughing out his lungs "Oh yeah, I fucking hate these things! Haha!" he gave it back.

Whatever, he thought and inhaled, the sound of ash forming was cut off by the other bear letting off some gear and stripped down to nothing "Those two bullets are still inside, I need to dig them out and clean before I start rotting from the inside. It hurts so much. Please don't leave while I'm fixing myself." he found it an odd request "I would never leave you." "Would you help me then?" Stupid question, he got up and escorted him to some pipes affixed to a valve, he drew some water and tasted it, it was edible so it hopefully is clean.

He too stripped down and decided it would be wise to wash the muck and blood off, even if some of it wasn't his own. "Okay, first I will dig out the metal, I need you to try and not move too much." the other bear grunted. The first bullet was located on his upper back, it may have not penetrated anything important but it was uncomfortably close to the spine. First the knife made its way to the side of the bullet casing, then came the pliers, he quickly snapped the teeth of the device around it and yanked it out, the other bear cried out in great pain and slammed his hands on the floor, letting out whimpers and swears out "That was too fucking fast! I can feel all the blood go down my body!" he reassured him that the faster it was out the faster he could patch him up "I know, dumbass! Get the other one out already and this can end sooner!" he complied and pulled out the other bullet, this one was lodged in his leg but was further away from any vital parts.

Crudely he pulled the second one out as fast as he could too and held down the pained bear "It's okay! It's over! You can start cleaning now." he looked back "It hurts, it hurts so bad! Please help me! Help clean me!" even before he asked he was starting to wash around the two small but dangerous holes in his body, more whining and screaming came but things eventually calmed when his wounds were wrapped and he was drying on a bed.