𝒊𝒊. The Lady in the Hood

CHAPTER TWOTHE LADY IN THE HOOD

CHAPTER TWO
THE LADY IN THE HOOD

In the year: 1841

THE SUN was slowly falling and night was being welcomed to the sky. An orange tint fell over the usual baby blue, leaving a warm color on the grounds Jalan was currently walking upon.

She was currently getting the last pot of water to warm for Ralph's bath.

A well stood a few miles away from the plantation. She twist the handle to fetch the bucket back up from the dark hole she was staring down into.

Jalan grabs the bucket, having to steady her strength as she turned around.

All the hard work she'd currently done seemed to be a waste of time because it fell right out of her hands when she flinched at a figure behind her.

"Oh my!" Celia Pines gasps, her facial expression simmering down into guilt, "I am so sorry, let me help you." She picks up the silver bucket.

Jalan places her hand over her chest, an unsteady smile on her lips. "It's no problem, you just scared me. That's all." She chuckles lightly.

"I would like you to know that wasn't my intention." Celia twists the handle of the well, dropping the bucket back down into the hole.

Jalan responds with a nod. Curious to know what brings Celia here. "Is there something wrong at the plantation?" Jalan frowns.

Celia was quick to shake her head, "Everything's fine—I'm here to give you this." She pulls out a small wooden object from her ruffled dress pocket.

Jalan frowns, accepting the unknown object, she examines it. Finally realizing it's a crescent moon, she smiles, "Where did you find this?"

"I made it." Celia smirks from ear to ear, "It took a few days—having it carved but I managed."

Jalan felt her smile falter some, "And you wanted to give this to me?"

Celia nods, her eyes glistening.

Jalan felt her stomach tighten. Guilty about her next words, "I'm sorry—I cannot accept this."

Celia's eyes dim ever so slightly, "why?"

"Well—the woman already believes I'm on a higher pedestal than them, taking this would just anger them more."

Celia surprisingly smiles, moving closer to Jalan. She takes hold of her hand and forms Jalan's fingers into a tight ball, wrapping it around the wooden moon. "They don't have to know, keep it hidden."