Prologue

Moonhaven splashed in the shallows as her friend Nightshade watched.

"Come in the water, it's not too cold!" Moonhaven called as she pounced on a small wave.

"You know I hate being wet, moon..." nightshade said. She tossed a pebble into the water.

The ground rumbled again. These tremors have been happening all day. Moonhaven has been nervous about the volcano since she woke up. Moonhaven has been having nightmares about the volcano all week and it made her nervous, but she didn't let it interfere with her hopeful personality.

"Why do you think the ground is shaking so much today?" Nightshade asked, inching closer to the water. Nightshade always hated getting wet, but she'd often try to overcome her fear.

"I've been having nightmares lately, about the volcano exploding..." moonhaven answered. "Do you think maybe it is gonna explode soon?" Moonhaven asked nervously. Moonhaven hated her home. It was smoggy, the air reeked of soot, she'd always taste ash on the limited food she would get sometimes. As much as she hated the volcanic island, it was the only place she'd ever known. She didn't want her home to be destroyed.

Nightshade swiped a claw at the shallow water before retreating to her secret cave. Moonhaven was the only one that knew about it. No other dragon on the island knew about their secret spot.

Suddenly, they heard a shrill scream. Moonhaven leaped onto a rock and looked past the old, rocky wall. She saw dragons arguing. Nightshade  snuck behind moonhaven and listened to the arguing dragons. The mudwing suddenly yelled "let go! I have no idea if my egg was red, or if i have fireproof scales, but i am not jumping into lava to find out!"

Moonhaven remembered him. Morrowseer brought six dragonets to the nightwing island a while ago. There were 2 nightwings, a grumpy skywing, a vicious sandwing, a hungry-looking mudwing and a shrimpy, little seawing. The sandwing and seawing were nowhere to be seen, but the mudwing was arguing with one of the little nightwings.

"Enough, skywing, you're not allowed to die!" Morrowseer shouted suddenly.

Morrowseer left with the skywing. The mudwing grumbled something, moonhaven didn't hear what the mudwing said.