The Kite Rider

The Kite Rider

Author: Geraldine McCaughrean

***
The Kite Rider

Gou Haoyou knew that his father's spirit lived among the clouds. For he had seen him go up there with a soul, and come down again without one.

Now Haoyou's mother is being forced to marry the very who sent her husband to his death. To save her, Haoyou must follow his father into the sky, ride a kite among the clouds and the spirits of the dead. But Haoyou is a kite-maker and knows better than most how to ride the winds and live.
Then the Jade Circus offers him a chance to escape his enemies and travel throughout the Empire, maybe even perform before Kublai Khan himself. But can Haoyou really break the ties of duty which bind him? And is the circus master himself leading Haoyou into even greater danger?

Geraldine McCaughrean has written almost a hundred books for children and adults. After many years spent working for a London publisher, she now writes full-time. Her novels have won her the Whitbread, Carnegie, Guardian, UKRA, Smarties and Beefeater Awards. She has also written plays for stage and radio. Among her other books for Oxford University Press are A Little Lower than the Angels, A Pack of Lies, Gold Dust, Plundering Paradise, Forever X and The Stones Are Hatching.