Prologue

Three years earlier...

"Are you ready?" asked my sister.

"I guess. I mean how hard can it be?" I answered hesitantly.

We walked through the gates into my first day of high school. There were just so many people. Guys high-fiving each other. People showing off their new bags and shoes. There were group of friends who greeted each other. Laughing, probably sharing each other there different summer escapades(which I'm sure is way better than mine). 

I'm not being a whiney baby or anything but how can you say your summer was fun when you spent it in a summer job? I had to wake up at 6 am. Every. Single. Day. My mom forced my sister and I to do that so that we can earn money. 

I was still daydreaming about my 'awesome' summer experiences when the school bell jerked me from my reverie. 

Flag ceremony. The only thing worse than a full throng of people shoving their way through the gate. 

"Later Sophia. I have to go to my friends. They're calling me."  said my sister.

"Great! So you're just going to feed me to the lions aren't you?" bitterly I said.

"It's high school! Not a zoo." she retorted.

"Well that's fine I'll just look for my friends then. Bye, Katie-Bear! " I rolled my eyes at her.

Honestly, I don't even know where to go. My best friends are not even gonna be in my class this year. I feel like such a loner wondering around the school trying to find a familiar face.

"Hey, Sophie!" called someone out of my line of sight. 

I looked back hoping to see a friendly face. But was devasted, yeah I should probably emphasize that, I was DEVASTATED to see that it was Kyle. The cruelest guy in my life. And that's probably under defining him. Back in 6th grade he used to tease me a lot because he found out that I had this huge crush on him.  Not huge as in kissing his picture every night huge. But huge as in trying to get his attention almost everyday until I finally got it when my 'trusted' informee told him I liked him. That's when the teasing started. And that's also the when I convinced myself I got over him. He was one of those charming guys who had too many girls crushing on him and he is kind of too 'bad-boyish' for me. 

"Hey to you too." I answered coldly. 

"You changed. What, no more pigtails and Hello Kitty bags?" he laughed teasing me again just like old times. 

"You're just jealous I had one and you couldn't. I always pinned you for a mysterious type. Guy on the outside but girly at heart." Hah! I got you there! I gave myself a mental pat for that job well done.

"Haha very funny. You got more beautiful and now, you're starting to get mean?"

Did he actually say I was beautiful? Okay maybe I am not that over my childish crush.

"Whatever! I'm sure---" The final bell interupted me from our little chat.

"Well, we better go to our line before Principal Frank calls all the late students up the stage. Wouldn't want that for our first day now, would we?" he suggested.

We walked in silence as we tried to find our line. When a thought passed by my mind.

"Wait. Are we in the same class?" I asked.

"Um, yeah. Didn't you know?"

Oh gosh! Now I have more teasing to look forward too. I thought.

"Why else would I be asking you if I knew, Idiot!" I retorted.

"Is sarcasm your middle name?" he joked.

"Funny. You could be a comedian someday." I said.

"Oh thank you. That's totally what I wanted to be." He said. 

"Yeah if your audience are deaf." 

Then we just started laughing nonstop. That day I found a best friend. It was kinda surreal, I guess, because he was the guy I had a crush on and he was unreachable. But now, we're laughing at each other's jokes and even passing notes to each other in class. Life could not get any easier.