Chapter 03

"Anak, have more of this. Isn't it your favorite?" Dad smiled at me after putting more fish filet on my plate, mataman akong tumango at ngumiti, I don't have the heart to tell him it wasn't my favorite anymore.

I could feel my Mom cautiously watching me as I ate the filet, tumingin ako sakanya to reassure her. 

The holidays passed by quickly; we had a family dinner during Christmas Eve and spent Christmas Day with Mom's, like the usual. Dad came home on the 22nd and I've never felt happier! He usually comes home when he isn't busy, as his job requires him to travel a lot. 

Mom said she didn't want me to grow up in an environment where I was always adjusting, that's why we settled in Dad's hometown, while Dad does his best and tries to come home during holidays. I don't really blame him for being absent in my life, I actually look up to him because of his sacrifices to be able to provide for our family. 

And during New Year, we spent it together in our house, just the three of us and some of their friends visited. We didn't need to travel to Bohol because Dad was with us, we usually just go to Lola's this time of the year because it gets lonely with just me and Mom. 

"Do you have plans before school starts, Mira? Just tell me, ihahatid kita." Dad suddenly asks, reminding me of what I promised the girls. Nilingon ko si Mom, usually I would have said no— but I'm not tired because we stayed here. At hindi maiiwan mag-isa si Mom sa bahay because Dad is here.

"I'm not yet sure pa, Dad."

"Why not? You should go out while you're not yet busy, invite that friend of yours, 'yung del Castor?" He casually mentions Reya, I couldn't help but laugh. He knows Reya because she called to greet and Dad heard it, Reya also greeted him at the end. Cha was very silent this holiday, mukhang nag out-of-town sila, kaya ay sa chat lang nag greet. 

"Buti naman at buhay ka pa?" I giggled at Reya's opening line as soon as she saw Cha. 

"Happy new year, Astri!" She embraced me and I muttered it back, I took a glimpse outside and saw how my Father only drove off seeing how I hugged Cha, ang sabi ko kasi sakanya ay tatlo lang kami. I looked at Cha again and realized who was with her. 

"Oh? Ba't ka nandito?" Reya snobbishly joked and punched his arm. Cio was... well, with Cha. But it didn't look like he was coming with us, Cha was wearing a dress and siya... naka football jersey, with shoes and stuff.

Cha must've noticed my confusion because she smiled, "Hinatid niya lang ako, hindi ako pinapadrive eh." She says, making me nod. "Gran Europa rin siya?" 

"Oo, Lessandra lang." 

I looked at Cio again, he wasn't looking at me. Nalilibang siya habang nakikinig sa ano man ang sinasabi ni Reya. Cha linked her arm to me, "Gosh, I can't believe pinayagan ka!"

"Thank Reya, then."

She rolls her eyes. "Wow, favorite na ng parents mo? Eh hindi pa nga nila ako nami-meet." 

We talked about where we were going. Cha wanted to eat breakfast in the nearby cafe and watch a movie, Reya just said yes and said, "Kokontra pa ba ako?" So I also just said yes. 

It looked like Cio was gonna come with hs because Cha was insisting. "Come on, papagalitan ako ni Papa if hindi ka kakain!" She widened her eyes at him, almost like a threat. Cio looked defeated and begrudgingly said yes. 

When we reached the cafe, I told them I was treating them. Saka ko lang nalaman na they bought me gifts! For Christmas and New Years! While I had nothing for them! Marami naman akong allowance because of the past holidays, and Dad even gave me some money for this gala so it was no big deal. 

Cha and Reya looked awfully excited despite being rich. They told me their order and went to look for a table on the second floor. 

"Dito ka na kumain!"

"'Wag na, I'll take it home." Cio groaned. Cha squints her eyes and shrugs, "Okay, sabi mo eh." And pulls Reya up.

I awkwardly tried to pretend he wasn't behind me. I mean, I could pay for his food, too, pero it would be too FC of me to do that. But it's also so terrible of me to not include him, err, magkasama pa naman kami. 

When it was my time to order, I told the girls orders and mine. And up to the last minute, I turned around with a sudden decision and asked, "What do you want?" 

Cio stared down at me and I only realized how tall he was. His brows were raised in cocky manner, his one hand playing with his car keys. I could feel the shame swallowing me when he furrowed his brows, and went quiet. 

"Uh... Is this all, Ma'am?"

Suminghap ako at tinalikuran siya, damn it! That was so awkward! "Yes po, kuya, thank you."

"You can step aside and wait for your drinks nalang muna, Ma'am." 

I stepped aside and refrained my neck from looking at him! Damn him! Bakit hindi siya sumagot?! That was an easy question to answer, even subjective too! So why make it more awkward between us?! Nagmamalasakit na nga, I just wanted to libre him too because the guilt was eating me! And yet.... Argh! I rolled my eyes, bobo!

"Ma'am, do you need assistance?" I stopped my soliloquy when I realized our orders are already there. Since it had our food and drinks, dalawa ang tray. I was about to say yes when he spoke up. "No need, I can help her." 

I scoffed and mumbled. "Edi wow." And took the lighter tray. I can feel him following me when I hear a light chuckle, "Edi wow? Galit na galit?" He joked like he didn't freaking embarrass me kanina. 

I rolled my eyes, "And I thought you were deaf, all this time?" I told him and looked back. He looked amused yet shocked, napahinto pa nga sa paglakad. 

Inis akong nagpatuloy sa stairs, I was moving fast to leave him! Kaya nang naabutan ako ay gulat na gulat ako, him and his long steps! 

He chuckled by my side, "I didn't mean to ignore you, sorry, sorry...."