I don't know what to call this

Guren sighed, lowering his binoculars.

"Well, well," he said. "This screams 'ambush' at the top of its lungs. So what to do now?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Yu demanded behind him. "We bust in there and save the hostages!"

"What idiot goes in charging straight into a trap?" said Narumi next to this one.

"What do you think we should do, huh?" snapped Yu.

"I don't know," Narumi admitted. "Lieutenant Colonel?"

Guren narrowed his eyes, not replying. Then he announced "Let's snipe at them from here and see if we can't lure them out. If there's too many of them, we abandon the hostages and run."

"What?!" cried out Yu. "We can't do that!"

"Lieutenant Colonel," said Shinoa, raising her hand to cut him off. "What are our priorities for this mission?"

"Top priority is for us to maintain our numbers, letting no one die," this one replied. "Second priority is freeing the hostages. Last is actually getting the hostages out of here alive. If it looks like any of us could be killed, run."

"In other words," Narumi said calmly. "There's another mission you need us for after this."

"Right," Guren said. "We have to keep the vampires occupied here in Aichi prefecture for as long as we can, to buy the main forces in Shibuya the time they need to get fully organised."

"What," snapped Kimizuki. "So this whole thing was a decoy mission?"

"Yeah," said Guren as a playful smile appeared on Shinya's face. "I'm hereby declaring the vampire noble extermination complete." He pursed his lips. "I don't know how many vampires we actually got. But get the three in city hall, Crowley Eusford, Chess Belle and Horn Skuld, and we'll still have eliminated at least five nobles out of a target of eight. That's plenty. Once we free the hostages, we need to draw as much attention to ourselves as we can, and begin our next mission, surviving as long as possible. So that's why..."

"Yes, yes," sighed Shinya, interrupting him and holding out his hand in the air. Flames burst into appearance and when they disappeared, they revealed a sniper rifle. "The plan is to make a lot of commotion only to run away in the end. And if it works we might even rescue a few hostages in the process."

"Right," Guren agreed. "And if it works well, the other squads that finished their assassination will hear the commotion and find us. And we'll kill all the vampires holed up in city hall."

"Aha ha!" laughed Shinya. "You know that'll never happen!"

Guren glared at him before hissing "Pessimist."

"Realist," Shinya corrected, his amusing smile turning into a tired one. "But let's do our best anyway. Yoichi. We're going to bombard the city hall building itself. Help me."

"Y-yes sir!" Yoichi stammered.

"Positions everyone!" Narumi ordered. "Brace for a vampire counter-attack!"

"Everyone, get ready!" Shinoa called out.

"All right then," said Shinya as he and Yoichi approached the edge of the roof. "I'll aim for the fourth floor and below. You aim for the fifth and above, Yoichi."

Yoichi nodded, summoning his bow and using his demon's eyes to zoom in. He then saw one of the vampires standing by the window. He hadn't noticed them yet.

"I see a vampire standing by a window on the fifth floor!" Yoichi exclaimed. "Permission to shoot before he notices we're up here!"

"What?" gasped both Shinya and Guren.