01 || Again

❝Even from a distance, Laurie shouldn't let him affect her

Even from a distance, Laurie shouldn't let him affect her.

— ❁ —

        SQUINTING, LAURIE raised her sunglasses. She tapped her fingers on the steering wheel afterward. Tanaw na kasi niya si Theo. Patawid pa lang ito ng intersection. As the lights turned green, she stepped on the gas pedal. She beeped the horn when Theo came into view. Nang tumunghay ito sa kanya ay kumaway siya.

        "Get in," Laurie told Theo. She opened the door for him, too. Parang bata lang kasi itong tumitig kahit ilang segundo na niya itong pinalalapit. "Sabi mo, may reservation tayo."

        He glanced at the café nearby. "I thought you wanted to check things first."

        Sa Cafuné sila dapat magkikita. Laurie wanted to make sure Malie could handle things alone before drifting away with Theo. Actually, she didn't want to go with him in the first place. Ang kaso, huling-huli ng kababata ang kiliti niya. Sinabihan siya nitong "business" ang ipupunta nila sa bagong-bukas na restaurant.

        Theo suggested they check the food out. She and Malie have been discussing adding items to the menu so she figured why not. Wala namang masamang kumuha ng idea o inspiration.

        It's how most things are birthed anyway.

        "I did but Mal assured me she can manage. Besides, wala namang tao ng ganitong oras."

        "You rarely have busy days, Laurie," seryoso nitong sabi bago humawak sa pinto ng sasakyan.

        Tahimik niyang hinintay na makaupo si Theo. The second he fastened his seat belt, she glared at him. "That was foul."

        "Oh, I'm sorry," he mumbled while pulling down his sleeves.

        Theo sounded sarcastic but Laurie knew he didn't mean to. Hindi naman nito kasalanang homeschooled ito hanggang high school. He probably picked up his unintentional sarcastic tone from her and Stefan. Sila-sila lang naman ang magkakasama, e.

        That was until college, of course. Theo and Stefan studied business abroad. Naiwan si Laurie sa Pilipinas. Nakapasok naman siya sa isa sa top universities. All in all, it was an interesting experience.

        "It's fine." She glanced at the side-view mirror before switching gears. "Bakit may bag ka? You brought your laptop?"

        "I have some editing to do later. Is it okay if you drop me off at the studio? I left my car there."

        Laurie nodded. "On the way naman. It's okay."

        While driving, she resisted the urge to turn the radio on. She just didn't want to be caught off guard. Baka may marinig siyang magpasama ng mood niya, e. Halos kalahating oras din siyang nagmaneho bago niya matanaw iyong restaurant na sinasabi ni Theo.