Chapter 12: All of That Hecticity

Paige

So today's the day I go back to work.

Oh joy.

My head still hurts. Everyone in this house was hustling today.

"How was therapy?" I askJosh as came in, Chloe holding his hand like they did when they were little middle schoolers. Who ever knew they were going to get married?

"Paige, there's something we have to tell you." Chloe says primly, the first time she's said a full sentence in a few months.

"I'm pregnant."

I jump up and hug her like crazy.

"How long?" I ask as I pull away.

She smiles her sweet little smile. "Four months."

"That's insane! Insane!" I make sounds of fake crowds cheering, the whispery "ah-ah-ah!" noises. I turn to my brother. He hugs me.

"Congratulations, Josh!" I kiss his cheek. He smiles, and goes up to kiss Chloe.

Well, that's good news. I'm an aunt!

"So.... have you decided names yet?"

Chloe pats her stomach. "A boy, Randy or David."

"And a girl?" I say.

She looks at me quite weakly. "Clara or Jennifer."

I see the remembering in her eyes.

"Oh, Chloe."

It's time for me to go. I slip into my room and change into my leotard, tights, and boots, stuffing my jazz shoes into my bag. I'm not allowed to wear them on the street.

"Bye!" I call. It's a rainy October day. Whistling for a cab, I go on my phone and check my messages.

There's one, from a girl at work called Aniheela.

"Emergency meeting. Now." It says.

I groan. Handing twelve dollars to to the cabbie, I whisper, "Make it speedy."