SEVENTEEN

Meredith
Arcadia

Settled into the cushiony comfort of her bed, I'm enveloped by Theia's scent. (which I've been told is remarkably close to my own) My eyes eagerly gaze over the things she's amassed in the small amount of time that she's lived here in Arcadia.

Her clothes, jewellery - even the books she reads; all give me a glimpse into the kind of person she's turned into; not that that matters at all. Whether she's a Goddess on Earth or the embodiment of Evil, my reason for living is her. Which is why, for every treasure I discover melancholy comes with it.

I blame myself for this.. in part.

Years of separation and torment clearly clouded the memories of why I'd tried so hard to keep Theia from the Blackfur's to begin with. As soon as I put my faith in one - the Gods punish my foolishness. I just wish Theia didn't have to pay the price.

I wish now that I'd found some magical way to keep us both hidden. Granny Opal used to tell me stories about faraway lands; special realms where only magic could take you and darkness couldn't touch. I remember dreaming about them, even as a child I'd fantasize about going to them; that maybe that's where my parents had gone on some magical quest that I couldn't follow. My parents were heroes, fighting dragons and dining with monarchs. Having met River and seeing the truth in Granny's stories - not my fantasies, I can't help but curse myself more for not taking the risk. If I'd have used my head, I could've tried to get us both into Concord. We'd be a family, happy and content. Nobody could've touched us there.

My anger simmers, so I inhale of my daughters' scent. It's the only thing that is keeping me from ripping my 'husband' limb from limb. I may not have the full strength of my Lycan yet or the fighting experience, but ever since Faina came to me I feel her influence constantly. Our connection is fusing so fast that at times it difficult to understand which thoughts are mine and which are hers.

Corvin had always told me that his bite was stronger than a Lycan's; that his venom had killed any trace Brock had left in me. Therefore I was no longer a human, nor was I Lycan. I was simply his and only his. Nobody else would want a Vampire's left over whore. As soon as Citlali and his mate Naiah penetrated that conditioning, I began to understand just how trapped I truly was. It was then that Faina came to me.

Now standing at the window, I push my sharper eyes as far as I can manage, searching for any sight of Theia. "Where did you go baby?" my breath fogs up the glass briefly, just as I feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Skin tingles and my heart flutters, as my insides betray my mind.

I can sense him in the doorway watching me.
I don't want him in here, but my traitor body.. Faina, does.

"I just wanted to check in on you, I'm heading back out in a minute" I hate how his voice turns my downstairs to mush. I don't want my body to respond to him like this, especially not when I should be focused on finding my daughter. Fucking bond.

"I know you hate me and there's a lot I have to make up for, but you can't hate me as much as I hate myself right now" his voice gets closer "I did leave her here, but I left her with my men guarding and protecting her.. but either way Theia is my responsibility and I fucked it up.. something happened, I don't know what but she's gone and she's making it so fucking hard to find her".

I'm strangely proud of her "She's been taught how to hide remember?" keeping my eyes focused on the outside. I can't look at him. One because with Faina's influence, I don't know if I'll jump him or murder him; andtwo because I'm furious and if I see his sad face and puppy eyes; I know I'll wind up comforting him instead of ripping him a new asshole.