Bedtime for Bonzo

"I am going to head to bed, are you coming?" Shiv asks, her tone tinged with uncertainty.

Tom hesitates for a moment before responding, "Ah, you know, I thought it would still be a good idea for me to sleep in the guest room."

Shiv's eyebrows knit together in confusion. "Oh, I thought... well, I figured."

Tom takes a deep breath and continues, "Yesterday, I said I thought it might be a good idea while we process the next two weeks and decide the shape of our relationship."

Shiv's eyes search his face, trying to discern his true intentions.

"But, if you can tell me why, why it's important to you, then let's bunk up," Tom finally says.

She opens her mouth to speak, but no words come out.

Tom, sensing her hesitation, leans in and plants a gentle kiss on her cheek. "I'll see you in the morning, honey," he murmurs softly.

Shiv watches him as he turns and heads towards the guest room, her mind filled with a whirlwind of emotions and unanswered questions. As he disappears from view, she takes a deep breath, knowing that there are conversations they still need to have, fears they need to confront, and decisions they need to make together.

Later that night she gathers her courage and follows the midnight haze that permeates the air, leading her to the guest bedroom. She moves to the other side of the bed and slips under the covers, positioning herself with her back facing him, seeking solace in the quiet darkness of the room. As Tom drifted in and out of light REM sleep, the slight movement of the duvet caught his attention, alerting him to Shiv's presence beside him. He rolled onto his side, facing her back, his senses attuned to the warmth emanating from her body.

"Siobhan," Tom murmurs, a hot breath against her back. Placing his right hand on her hip, Shiv instinctively arched her back and let out a slight moan.

Shiv grabs Tom's right hand and leads it to hover, then place it against her breast. He adjusted his position, drawing himself closer to her, assuming the role of a protective spoon. In the safety of the darkness, she could allow herself to be vulnerable, knowing that he was there to provide comfort and protection.

"I need you," she whispers softly, her voice filled with sincerity and warmth.

"What do you need?" asks Shiv.

He pauses momentarily, gathering his thoughts before responding, "A boundary, a definition, and an expectation. For home, for us."

"Okay," and "Tom, what's the worst thought in your mind at this moment?" Shiv inquires, her voice tinged with curiosity and concern.

"How I'm I going to get any sleep," as he kisses her between her shoulder blades.

But deep down, he acknowledges to himself that his true thoughts revolve around the belief that the only way to sustain closeness with Shiv is by never completely surrendering himself. That maintaining a slight distance, remaining one step detached, is the key. In his mind, he believes that she can only fully commit to him if he presents an aura of aloofness. As he delves deeper into his thoughts, a lingering concern starts to take root: the worry that this detachment may eventually become second nature to him.