/1/

Chapter 1

"Ali, you dyed your hair again. Heartbroken?"

Ali laughed softly and ruffled the hair of her younger sister. Being a 12-year-old girl, Alyson is pretty smart and observant.

"Of course not, Alyson. I'm good. I just got bored with blonde." she explained with a smile. She knew that she didn't believe her based on her scrutinizing eyes, but she let it slide, just shrugged her shoulders, and continued reading the book she was holding while lying on the sofa in the living room. She is always studying.

She went to the kitchen to see her mother.

She didn't come home for several months because of the amount of paperwork and school projects she had. School and work were pretty hectic. Since she started college, she has moved out on her own, and because the university is far from their house, it is in the city, so it's better for her to stay in an apartment. It is only walking distance from her school.

Her place, as of now, doesn't look like an apartment anymore. It looks like a paper company, or maybe a recycle bin is much better description. Papers were scattered around the computer and all over the room. She accepts manuscripts to be edited or proofread for extra income or for her savings. For her, it's a waste of time when she comes home early from class, so she decided to take some work. She has loved reading since she was a kid, and writing is her passion that she enjoys the most. Giving others the universe and experiencing the life of their own is something that she finds comfort in, finding friends as well as enemies in the characters from the story she was reading or in the characters that she created on her own, she finds it exhilarating.

Her school schedule is fine. Usually, class starts at 7:30 in the morning and ends at 1:30 in the afternoon. She puts in work from three in the afternoon to eight in the evening. At 8:30, she will do her assignments and finish them at 10 or 11, depending on the amount and difficulty of them, and she will wake up again at 6:00 in the morning to prepare for school. Yeah, her everyday life routine is boring, but she didn't mind it. As long as she wakes up in the morning and is able to study properly, it's fine with her. She is more than grateful to have a simple life. It is something that might be mundane for others, but she finds familiarity with it.

"Oh, red hair, huh?" mom greeted her openly.

"I miss you too, Mom. Hahaha." she laughed and came to kiss her cheeks.

"I miss you too, Honey. But why did you dye it?" she still had not let it go and asked. Now eyeing her new red hair.

"Just for a new look."

"Hmm?" she asked, still eyeing her hair while raising her eyebrows.

"Yeah, what's for dinner?" her mom gave her another look, but this time, let it go. She knows she wanted to ask more questions, but she's thankful she turned back to what she was cooking earlier.

"Adobo." she said, smiling big. Her mom is really sweet. She knew she was going home, so she cooked her favorite again.

"Can't wait!" she said as cheerfully as she could.

The dinner ended without her father. He said he was going home in the morning because there was a problem with the company, and he needed to stay all night. They understand, and this is not the first time that they have not been able to eat dinner together anyway.

Her mother helped her put away the dishes. Alyson had already gone to her room.

"How have you been, Ali?" she stopped. She could feel the concern in her mother's voice.

"I'm fine, Mom." she answered with a forced smile. She stared at her for a while before sighing.

"I know you are old enough, Ali. But always remember that your dad, mom, and even your sister, Alyson, we are always here. If you have a problem, you can always tell us. We are always ready to listen and help, Ali." she reminded her while holding her hands. At that moment, she wanted to cry and ask 'why' to her mom, but she stopped herself. Instead, she just came to her and hugged her tightly. She really missed her. How nice it will be if she becomes a kid again, and whenever she has a problem, she will just run and tell her mom, and everything will be alright again. But that is the difference between being an adult... knowing something is not going to be okay, no matter how hard she tries. And the least she can do is not let her mother worry about her. After all, it was something she just needed to let go of and move on from.