vii. the Store

Oct. 1, 2236.
Item # 45: Chase friends down the aisles of a store whilst blaring the 'Scooby Doo' theme.

     We enter Walmart without making a sound.

     Finally, Bruno asks, "What are we doing here? Is that one of the items on the list? Go shopping?"

     I laugh. "Not exactly." I make my way to the back, where I rig up my phone to the speakers.

      It begins to play the old 'Scooby Doo' theme. I reach for a halloween mask—-it's some sort of devil. I slip it on.

      Instantly, it seems to click in Ibtihaj, Bruno, and Lexie's minds what number forty-five on the list is.

      They all exchange glances before giggling like children and tearing off through the aisle.

     I chase after them while Joseph makes excited little noises from my backpack.

      We take turns chasing each other through the aisles.

      Finally, it's Bruno's turn to chase.

     When Bruno's still far behind me, I stop and swing open a freezer door to get a pizza.

     "Motherfucker!" A voice shouts.

      That wasn't Bruno, I think to myself.

      I close the door and look down to see a boy about a year older than I am dressed in basketball shoes, ripped jeans, a graphic tee, and a leather jacket laying on the ground.

      I must've hit him in the face, I think to myself.

     Sweat glistens on his dark skin. He rubs his head.

      I hold my hand out to him, offering to help him up.

      He accepts.

     "I'm uhhh…" He begins.

     I finish for him, "Maxwell Martin, right? The school's bad boy…"

     "Yeah." He rubs the back of his neck. "I am… I mean, I was…technically—-since there's no school to go back to."

     "Bradley Fujioka," I introduce, holding my hand out for him to shake.

      Maxwell shakes it.

      The rest of the group makes their way over to us.

     "These are my friends—-Bruno Gonzalez and Ibtihaj Bakhtiar." I tilt my head in Lexie's direction. "That's my sister—-Lexie."

      "And him?" Maxwell points to the armadillo in my backpack.

       "That's Joseph," Lexie answers.

       Maxwell rubs his dark hands together. Then he fluffs his pink hair. "You know… I'm really happy to see you guys. Especially with all of that weird ass zombie shit happening… I could've sworn I was the only damn one left… Well…" He trails off. "That was until I saw you four back in early August take off in a car."

     "When we went to the school," Ibtihaj drifts off.

     "You think I could join you guys?" Max asks. "I know how to light fires with sticks and stones… My dad taught me it. He used to take me camping a lot."

     I smile at him. "Welcome to the group, Maxwell."