Chapter- 2

ARIA

Mother tugged at the dress Father had chosen for the occasion. No matter how much Mother tugged though,the dress didn't get any longer. 

I stared at myself in the mirror uncertainly.I'd never worn anything that revealing. The black dress was clinging to mybutt and waist, and ended at my upper thighs; the top was a glittery goldenbustier with black tulle straps.

 The black dress was clinging to mybutt and waist, and ended at my upper thighs; the top was a glittery goldenbustier with black tulle straps

 "I can't wear that, Mother."Mother met my gaze in the mirror. 

Her hair was pinned up; it was a fewshades darker than mine. She was wearing a floor-length elegant dress. Iwished I was allowed something that modest. 

"You look like a woman," shewhispered. 

I cringed. "I look like a hooker." 

"Hookers can't afford a dress like that." 

No, Hookers can, Father's mistress had clothes that cost more than some people spent ona car.

 Mother put her hands on my waist. "You have a tiny waist, and thedress makes your legs look very long. I'm sure Luca will appreciate it." 

I stared down at my cleavage. I had small breasts, even the push-upeffect of the bustier couldn't change that. I was a fifteen-year-old dressed upto look like a woman. 

"Here." Mother handed me five-inch black heels. Maybe I'd reachLuca's chin when I wore them. I slipped into them. Mother forced her fakesmile onto her face and smoothed down my long hair. "Hold your head high. Our Boss called you the most beautiful woman of Chicago. Show Luca that you are more beautiful than any women in New Yorktoo. After all, Luca's knows almost all of women in NewYork." 

The way she said it I wassure she'd read the articles about Luca's hookups as well, or maybe Fatherhad told her something. 

"Mother," I said hesitantly, but she stepped back. 

"Now go. I'll comeafter you, but this is your day. You should enter the room alone. The menwill be waiting. Your father will present you to Luca and then we'll all cometogether in the dining room for dinner." 

She'd told me this dozens of timesalready.For a moment, I wanted to take her hand and beg her to accompany me;instead I turned and walked out of my room. I was glad that my mother hadforced me to wear heels in the last few weeks. 

When I arrived in front of thedoor to the fireplace lounge on the first floor in the west wing, my heart wasbeating in my throat. I wished Gianna was at my side, but Mother wasprobably warning her to behave right now. I had to go through this alone. 

Nobody was supposed to steal the show from the bride-to-be. 

I stared at the dark wood of the door and considered running away.Male laughter rang out behind it, my father and the Boss. A room filled withthe most powerful and dangerous men in the country and I was supposed togo in.