𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐

dominic

I was fucked.

"You're fucked." Enzo, my best assassin and one of the only people I could somewhat tolerate, drawled. I set my whisky-filled tumbler down on the glass table and threw imaginary daggers with my eyes, hoping one would pop out of nowhere and actually stab him.

He couldn't ever be part of my family's legacy since he wasn't Italian, being born in the Mexican cartel. But a few years ago, he turned up on my doorstep saying he would get rid of anyone I wished for a price. I didn't question his past and frankly didn't care. He was damn good at his job so that was all that mattered.

'No shit, Perez, thanks for stating the fucking obvious. You think I don't know that?" I leaned further back into my chair and pulled out the gun tucked into my waistband, throwing it in front of me.

He didn't falter at the sight of the weapon that could potentially kill him. Instead, he smirked. I had gotten used to his lack of fear over the years, but shit he was fucking creepy. "Who knows how much evidence they have racked up against you? I've never met someone as dumb as you." He cracked his neck and smiled at fuck knows what.

"Careful," I warned. Despite being distant acquaintances with Enzo, I was still the Don. "And why the fuck are you talking? You've got a thief stealing your shit from right under your nose and you still don't know who." My faint New Yorker accent mixed with Italian seeped in.

"I'm working on that. And when I catch the bastard, he'll pay. But-" His protest was cut off when Luca, my cousin and underboss, strolled in. Luca didn't say anything, dropping his body down onto the couch and scrolling on his phone. He's always been the quiet type.

"Any news?" I nudged Luca's arm. He took my tumbler and finished the drink, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

He pulled out photos and handed the phone to me, swiping occasionally. "All these photos are the shit they have to put us away, for good." I paid close attention to the candids, zooming in if necessary. Some of Enzo's kills, blow and all the dodgy shit that went on behind the strip clubs. This was fuckin' bad.

"Jesus." I muttered under my breath. "I'm not even gonna ask where you got all these photos from." I handed the phone to Enzo so he could take a look for himself and witness all the psychotic murders he committed.

Luca shrugged. "A couple of death threats do the trick. But, that's not all. They've handed the case to a private law firm to work as the prosecutors. Two lawyers, to be exact."

"Names?" I asked.

"Quinn and Partners, based in Manhattan. The two lawyers are Tim Felder and Amara Kader." I paid no attention to the first name since it was most likely some dumb shit who got this far in their career from daddy's money and good connection.  But the second?

Enzo looked up from the phone when his interest spiked after enjoying himself a bit too much, cringing. "A girl? Don't worry, Dominic. You'll win the case."

"It's a top law firm, chances are pretty slim." Luca corrected.

"Fuck me." I groaned.

"Wanna hear my opinion? Kill the two lawyers." Enzo chimed.

"They'll just find more."

"Then kill those. If we kill half of those stupid buzzkills, then you walk away untouched and people get to have more fun without dealing with the consequences." As crazy as his plan sounds, it seems like it could possibly work.

I nodded, pulling out a cigarette and lighting it. "That actually sounds half decent." I spoke in between taking a puff.

"Really?" Luca shook his head. "The whole New York police force is on your dick right now and to fix it, you wanna murder some more people?" Sometimes, I really fucking hated my cousin for being so rational. As rational as a cold blooded killer got. "Take a look at the lawyers." He took his phone back and messaged us with two attachments.