Part 25

Lo'ak returns to the clearing with Rotxo. They walk through the many small huts built in close proximity.

Neteyam, Kiri, Aonung, and Tsireya are waiting for them in front of the Sully family's hut.

As they walk over, Tsireya greets Lo'ak with a hug, and the two stand next to each other with his arm resting around her shoulder. Aonung and Kiri are both sitting on a log, and Neteyam is leaned up against the hut with his arms crossed.

Kiri- Tsireya was finally able to sneak up on me today.

Kiri smiles, proud she taught her how to move stealthily through the dense environment. Lo'ak kisses Tsireya's forehead, proud his water girl is making good progress.

But even though he's proud of his girl, they have a competition going.

Lo'ak- Stealth is good, I know, but Rotxo was flying through the trees. Even I can't do it quite like him.

Aonung- Good job, bro.

Rotxo and Aonung bump fists, and Kiri rolls her eyes playfully. She has to admit, his rapidly growing skills are impressive.

Kiri- I never thought you would be a good teacher, since you're always breaking rules.

The three Metkayina kids laugh, and Lo'ak just smirks.

Lo'ak- Honestly, I thought the same thing.

Kiri- Maybe Tsireya's influence is really working.

Lo'ak- Hey, don't give her my credit.

The girls laugh once again, then Lo'ak looks at Neteyam, who hasn't said a word, and doesn't even look like he's been paying attention.

Lo'ak- So what about you, bro?

Neteyam- Hm?

Kiri- How has your student been doing?

Neteyam- He scaled a tree.

Lo'ak- Didn't he master that already?

Rotxo- Yeah, like five days ago.

Kiri- But every day we meet, all we hear about is him climbing a tree.

Lo'ak- Tey, do you teach him anything?

They each look at Neteyam, whose attention is elsewhere yet again. Aonung shakes his head at the distracted boy.

Kiri- Neteyam.

Her brother ignores her call. Her and Lo'ak share a glance. He removes his arm from Tsireya, and steps forward.

Lo'ak- Neteyam!

He snaps his gaze to them with a hiss.

Neteyam- What!?

Aonung rolls his eyes with a sigh.

Lo'ak- What the hell is your problem?

Neteyam- Nothing.

Lo'ak- Nothing? Bro, you haven't taught Aonung anything other than how to climb a tree. Which, by the way, he already knew how to do, because you taught him before we found everyone.

Neteyam rolls his eyes and looks at whatever he was paying attention to before.

Lo'ak- And, this isn't the first time you've snapped at us.

He ignores his words, and Lo'ak lets out a frustrated sigh, then looks at Aonung.

Lo'ak- Do you know what's up with him?

Aonung- I have a few ideas.

Kiri- Care to share?

Neteyam- I don't belong here.

They each look at Neteyam, who has finally decided to give them his full attention.

Lo'ak- What do you mean?

Neteyam- They only told us to teach them to keep us out of the way.

Lo'ak- So you're mad because you aren't in on the action?

Neteyam- I belong with the warriors, and father knows it.

Lo'ak- I know he has you believing you're like the best warrior and all, but you're still a kid just like us. Just let them handle this.

Neteyam- I am no child!

Neteyam steps up to Lo'ak, and the younger boy copies the action.

Kiri- Guys, don't-

Lo'ak- Then why are you here with us, huh!?

Neteyam- I'm stuck here because I have to look after your skxawng ass!

Kiri- Guys-

Lo'ak- Then why the hell did dad ask me to watch you?!

Lo'ak stares Neteyam in the face with anger in his eyes, while Neteyam's fury turns to shock.

Neteyam- He did what?

Lo'ak- When you started acting weird he told me to keep an eye on you.

Neteyam steps back, barely able to believe what he's hearing.

Lo'ak- I thought it was crazy, but I did it anyway. I had started to think it was because of . . .

He glances at Aonung, then remembers their promise to keep it a secret, and looks back at his brother.

Lo'ak- You know . . . But now you're acting weird again, and I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Neteyam- There's nothing wrong with me.

Lo'ak- That's not what dad seems to think. Maybe that's the real reason you aren't . . .

His words halt as their father approaches, having heard the commotion.

Jake- What's goin' on?