a half-sober state of mind? :: lokistair

© all rights of the characters go to akosiibarra. the mentioned canon events also belong to him, but the romantic plots in the book are created by yours truly.

there are spoilers in this book so proceed with caution! some details in the canon book were also altered by me.

LOKI

As nightfall began to seep in, the streets of Clark City soon began to become less crowded. Tonight was — if I may quote Lorelei and Jamie's words — a 'momentous occasion, celebrating the return of the memories that I had lost' because of the untimely incident on the Dreamhill cruise four years ago.

Now, I am sat on the couch of mine and Lorelei's condominium, awaiting the return of both Lorelei and Jamie. As worded by the rest of my, friends (frankly, it's still an odd word to use, despite the obvious truth in it), we were to have a small gathering with one another in our condo. As a result, I am here, reading yet another mystery book, while Alistair is in the kitchen, cooking something to munch on while we drink.

"Hello! Nakabili na kami ng wine! Kaso ang kulit ni Lori! Sakto na raw satin ang 2 bote! Knowing me and Al's alcohol tolerance, you'd know by now na marami maiinom natin tonight!" Sabi ni Jamie habang naglalakad sa countertop ng kusina para mailagay ang bunion niyang wine.

"It's fine, Jamie. I won't drink much anyway. I still have to drive you home." Alistair says, not looking away from the stove. For a moment, I stared at his back, wondering what this suffocating feeling in my chest is. I'm supposed to be a detective, yet I can't even solve my own predicaments.

Breaking my train of thought is the voice of my condo-mate and friend. "Loki, tumulong ka naman dito. Ang bigat ng package sa labas, grabe." sumenyas si Lorelei na lumabas at tulungan siyang ipasok ang malaking kahon sa labas. It seems to be something she ordered online. I don't order much online so it must be hers.

"Fine." I say, standing up to assist her. "Not that i would interest myself in whatever you purchase, but what even is in this?"

"It's a vacuum. The one we had was almost broken. The wire was damaged, so I replaced it. Either one of us might get hurt using it so better safe than sorry." I nod and went back to sit on the couch to resume reading the book.

After what seemed to be minutes of reading, Alistair called out from the dining area. "Luto na yung pagkain. Tara na dito, bubuksan ko na rin yung wine."

"I'll get the wine glasses." I replied, once again standing up. I took the glasses from the cabinets in the kitchen, careful not to drop anything. One by one, setting them on the table, as Alistair poured wine into each glass.

I found myself staring at him, his eyes, to be more specific for a while. He seemed to take notice of this, causing me to redirect my eyes elsewhere. "Ahem— Jamie, Lori, where are you? Kakain na daw." Loki called out, quickly making conversation in hopes that Alistair won't mention anything about his gaze on him.

"Oo na, nag-ayos lang kami para di naman work clothes ang suot namin. Diba, maganda yung suot ko, Al?" twirling around, Jamie flaunted her outfit. "Bagay sa'yo, Jamie." sagot ni Al.

"May binili nga pala akong siomai kanina, saglit, kunin ko lang."

With that, Lorelei left the table and soon returns with the purchased food.

ALISTAIR

Not even an hour later, Jamie was now drunk, as well as Loki. I had drunk more than i anticipated, which means I'd be unable to take Jamie home. Next option, ask Lori.

"Lori, I'd hate to ask this of you, kasi ako narin nag-volunteer maghatid kay Jamie, kaso napadami inom ko today, pwede bang ikaw nalang maghatid sa kanya?"

She smiled and proceeded to grab her car keys. "Sure. I'll stay the night with her narin, in case may mangyari. I'll leave Loki in your hands."

I help her sling Jamie's arm over her shoulder as she walks out the condominium. "Ingat. Drive safely, Lori."

"I will. I'll see you tomorrow."

Now, we're alone. I watch out the window as i see Lori's car drive off, until it's no longer in view. Comfortably sat on the sofa was Loki, wine glass still in his hands. I walk to him, and try to grab the wine glass, asking him to stop drinking as he had already taken in too much alcohol.

"Loki, tama na yan. Ang dami mo nang nainom."

"Nonsense, Alistair. I'm still fine, as you can see!" i only shook my head and tried to carefully pry the glass away from him.

"Enough. Tingnan mo oh, lasing ka na."

Reluctantly, he gave in and let me take the wine glass. Spending about 7 minutes in the kitchen, i made sure to wash the dishes used and clean off the countertop before returning to tend to a very drunk Loki. "Are you slightly sober now, Loki?"

"Al? Can i tell you something?" he asks, completely ignoring my previous question. "Sure. May bumabagabag ba sa'yo?"

"No. I think? I don't know."

Confused, i ask him what he wanted to tell me. I figured it was related to work, considering that the man was a work-aholic. "Well what did you want to confide in with me?"

"Your eyes are pretty." he blurts out.

My eyes widen. Seryoso ba sya? Si Loki pa ba tong kausap ko? "Uh, my eyes are- my eyes are what?"

"Maganda. Maganda yung mga mata mo."

I felt the heat rising from my neck to my cheeks as he says those words as if with absolutely no care in the world. The way he said it, para bang di nya napo-process yung sinasabi nya. I take a deep breath and tried to remain my composure. "Thank you, Loki."

"God, Al. You don't get it, do you?" he scoffs out.

"I'm sorry?"

As if my statement offended him, he scoffs again. "I said, you don't get the situation here, do you, Al?"

The confusion on my face begins to become more apparent as he speaks. What don't i understand? Is he implying something? My brain doesn't seem to have the capability to comprehend the situation at the moment, it still being in a state of shock from Loki's words.

"Maybe you could help me understand? I'd like to hear what you're insinuating, Loki." sabi ko. "Kala ko matalino ka. Surely you can tell that i seem to be harboring feelings for you, right?"

Nanlaki ang mga mata ko, tila'y gulat na gulat sa sinabi ng aking kasama. My jaw dropped. How is this possible? Loki? Like me? Me? I thought he didn't do that stuff? Moreover, he's gay?

Napakaraming tanong ang umiikot sa ulo ko. "Sorry. I'll go to sleep. Thanks." he mutters, walking away to his room. "I'm a little sober now by the way. Thanks for that." he added.

With that, Alistair was left all alone to his thoughts in the living room, not sure how to process this newfound information.