Rodents

Fic by salvulcanotoes
Summary: Catherine is a young police officer who runs into a criminal named Abby who tells her all about a gang called Rodents that are searching for her. Little does Catherine know that the Rodents leader Sparrow is on the hunt for Catherine. And Abby might've just lead Sparrow to her
Background: police AU- every character has different roles and are younger than they would be in the main Rivertown books so there's still some youthful innocent stupidity that takes place. VERY inaccurate and irrelevant to the main books. just for fun.

When nearing the street, the police sirens faded. Catherine didn't experience much action in her town of barely 2000 population, so when she did get calls, she tried her hardest. Her partner, Josh, didn't feel the same. He slouched against the window, elbowing the buttons in which made the window slide down, revealing a frigid wind that made Catherine melt into goosebumps.
     "So, trespassing. That's new." Catherine attempted to make small talk, sarcasm in her voice.
      Josh made a noise that sounded like "hmmph."
      Catherine rolled her eyes.
      "God forbid I make small talk." She said.
      Their headlights illuminated a small cabin just north of town. It was dirty and broken, slumped to one side with a creaky fence that lead to a small backyard.
       Josh headed for the front door while Catherine inspected the backyard with a flashlight.
        "You can't be here," Catherine called out to the darkness, expecting a noise in return.
        She saw a black figure cross over behind a bush, she she positioned her gun below her flashlight. "I see you. Come out with your hands up."
         She heard a faint whimper.
        "Come out—"
       A woman, mid twenties, thin and tall with matted hair came out, her arms quivering as she raised them above her head.
        Catherine made no further comments. She put on some handcuffs and slid her in the back seat, where Josh was already smoking a cigarette out the window.
        That was how it was in their small town. A small crime that ended smoothly, Josh having a smoke and Catherine feeling unsatisfied despite always winning.
        Their drive was going smoothly until she heard the woman whimper again. She made eye contact with her through the mirror, but ignored it.
         "Trespassing on an old woman's lawn. What were you thinking?" Josh mumbled to her.
          "I was thinking I needed a place to hide." The woman whispered desperately.
          Both of the officers said "huh?" but before she could answer a pair of lights blinded them from in front.
       Catherine tried to serve the vehicle, but it wasn't enough. A car collided with them, spinning the police vehicle into a tree. The noise was too loud to bare.
       It must've been minutes—hours, Catherine's head laid back against the head rest as she blurrily tried to open her eyes. Then, a hand grabbed her arm, pulling her out the door.
       It took a bit to register that a man was pulling her, one with a bandana wrapped around his face, a gun in his free hand. Catherine began to panic, looking for Josh but there was no sight of him.
       Then, a gun shot. The man crumbled to the ground. What was happening? Catherine was too dizzy to process. She outstretched on her back staring up at the dark sky.
     The woman she had previously arrested stood over her, concern in her eyes.
      "Let's get you out of here." She whispered, and if like an angel, her hand swept over Catherine's eyes and everything went black.

Catherine painfully yawned when she awoke, stretching her limbs that felt bruised and tired. She began to recollect her thoughts and scrambled awake.
       "What happened?" She urged, opening her eyes to face the backseat of a moving vehicle. All she remembered was a crash, then that woman—
      That woman was driving the car. A criminal.
      "Stop! Stop," she reached for her gun but it wasn't there. In fact, she was restrained in the backseat. The woman glanced back at her, then continued driving. She didn't recognize the car, and didn't see Josh anywhere.
      "What happened to the man I was with?"
      "He's gone." She replied with no further context.
      Shit. She killed him didn't she. And now she was going to kill Catherine.
      The woman glanced again. "We call them Rodents. Those men that crashed into us back there. They're trying to kill me. Just like they did to your friend."
        "I don't believe a word you say." Catherine replied, tugging at the restraints.
       "Fine. Don't believe me. I just saved your life, by the way." She said, then mumbled, "ungrateful bitch."
       Catherine scoffed. "Rodents. What is that, a gang? We don't have gangs in Rivertown."
         "It's not a gang per se. It's just a group of men trying to kill me as an order from a higher man. Well, I guess it is a gang." She giggled to herself. "I've been hiding from them for years. They've finally caught up to me."
        "And what did you do that makes you soooo valuable?" Catherine didn't believe this chick for one second, but she'd humor her.
        "I can't reveal that to you." She said.
       "So, something illegal I imagine." Catherine rose an eyebrow.
        "Not in the slightest. I'm not a bad person, Catherine, just have bad luck." She said.
        She wasn't sure how she knew her name, which lead her to ask, "what's your name?"
       "Why? You gonna use it against me?" She questioned, flashing her a grin through the mirror. Catherine rolled her eyes.
       "It's Abby." She said.
       "I'm sure you're lying." Catherine replied.
       "Believe all you want, you nincompoop. I have a job to do. Where would you like to be dropped off?" Abby asked.
        "You're committing multiple crimes right now and you think you'll get away with this?" Catherine asked.
        "Oh I know I'll get away with it." She said. "And if you don't answer," She stopped the car leaning behind her and facing Catherine. Her eyes examined Abbys face like a book, reading her brown eyes and button nose, full lips and eyebrows, flustered cheeks and tan skin. Catherine was staring but only so the police sketch would be accurate later.
       "If you don't answer, then I'll just have you help me catch these Rodents." Abbys eyes twinkled with enthusiasm.
       "I'm not getting involved in some beef you have with a gang not even from here. That's FBI level shit. Not for me." Catherine said.
        "Come on. You'd rather throw one criminal in prison rather than catch a whole gang of criminals, who'll probably kill me, and the rest of this damn town?" Abby nudged her knuckles into Catherine's shoulder. She glared. But, she pondered.
        Arresting a whole gang of criminals would come with a shit ton of money, maybe even the key to the damn city. But helping Abby would ruin her reputation— even present herself as a traitor.
        "If I do this, we'll have to do it in secret." Catherine said. She was aware that the local news was probably already profiting off of the police car accident and Joshs death, which also meant there would probably be people looking for Catherine. Her face would be everywhere around town.
         "I love secrets." Abby said breathily. She unlatched the restraints around Catherine and patted the passenger seat beside her. "You, my dear colleague, have the honor of sitting next me now."