A Fateful Encounter

1

"Sung Hanbin," a man in a white metallic suit said, reading the information displayed on his screen. He stepped forward. "You are in charge of this project," the old man smiled.

Hanbin smiled back, brimming with joy. "I am more than honored to know that you believe in my skills and spirit enough to let me lead this team. I promise not to disappoint you or the team. I assure you that Project Zerobase will be successful," he finished his small speech and bowed in respect.

"I am sorry, President. I got stuck in the teleportal on the way. It's quite unusual," another man stepped into the room, bowing to the old scientist. A few more people followed him, dressed similarly to the scientist but less elaborately, indicating different titles.

"Ah, Zhang Hao! Nice to see you," the President smiled warmly at the newcomer. Hanbin's ears perked up at the mention of the name, but he remained in his bowing position. He sensed the person standing next to him, who also bowed.

"I will get the officers to check the portals. There might be some disturbances in the network," the President said, making a signal in the air with his hands, prompting the other scientists to begin their work.

"My dear Hao and Hanbin," the President spoke in a warm yet serious tone. The two looked up at the man, who was seated on his incubator-like machine, floating a bit above them.

"Zhang Hao, I am very proud to say that, as the first ranker, you qualify as the best candidate in the whole of Kepler, and dare I say, the whole of Cyprus. Since you declined the offer to lead the team, I hope you and Hanbin can work together. I can see you two becoming the perfect team this project needs," he concluded with a small smile.

Hao and Hanbin exchanged glances, their eyes showing a shared determination. Though they had different motivations, their goal was one.

"Thank you so much, President, for believing in my abilities. I will do my best to cooperate with my teammates to successfully complete this mission," Hao said resolutely.

"It's also the deal, don't forget," Hao added with a wink.

The old man chuckled and shook his head. "Of course not, Zhang Hao. I know you don't play around with anything. Consider it done."

That was the thing. Hanbin was part of this mission because of his dedication—to his planet, to his people, and to do everything that would make him proud as a Keplian. He took immense pride in Kepler.

Zhang Hao, though also a dedicated Keplian, seemed born for a different purpose. He valued his goals and achievements above all else, even himself. Some may perceive him as egoistic, but to Zhang Hao, it meant working based on principles, even if they were not universally moral.

Hanbin valued everything above himself, while Hao valued himself the most. Despite their differences, their shared passion and dedication to satisfy their inner desires united them.

"Your luggage is already packed on the ship. The other members are waiting in the lobby. You two should join them. You all know were the ship is," the President announced, making some gestures, and in a blink of an eye, the two were out of the room.

"Short-distance teleportation," Hanbin murmured.

"I know," Hao said, looking at the younger man.

"I mean, you know now, but I am Zhang Hao," he smiled.

"Sung Hanbin," Hanbin replied, levitating a few centimeters above the ground by kicking off twice with his boot's sole. Hao followed suit.

"Let's go now. I have the map to the place saved in my highpro," Hanbin said, turning the ring on his left finger, projecting a small translucent screen, like a modern-day mobile phone, but more advanced.