Chapter 3

Jisoo.

My phone rang just as I was wrapping up the meeting with the new client. I moved off to the side of the conference room as my assistant escorted Mr. Collins and his crew from the room. "Hello?"

"She said yes," said Erik Baylor briskly.

A wave of relief shot through me at the news. "Was it difficult to get her to agree?"

"No, Ma'am. She wants a signing bonus, and the amount gels with what the background check revealed. Ms. Y/Ln needs money for tuition, so that's what we offered."

"What background check?"

There was a slight hesitation before he answered. "I naturally assumed you would want me to run a check on Sky's prospective nanny, Mrs. Kim."

I let out a breath I'd been holding. "Yes, of course. I didn't think about it. I guess I'm still remembering Y/n as the little twelve-year-old."

"Yes, Ma'am."

"What did you turn up?"

"Nothing on Ms. Y/Ln herself. Her father is a treasure trove of questionable judgment and poor fiscal management though."

"Hmm. I suppose I do remember that about him." I hated to imagine the poor young girl dealing with that, but was also happy that the fact she needed money helped get her to accept the job. "How much does she need?"

Erik named the sum before adding, "And she wants a monthly salary and room and board. I told her it's a live-in position, correct?"

If only I could avoid having a woman living in the home. It was different with Betsy and Margot, the chef. They stayed in a different part of the apartment, and both women were married, so I didn't have to worry about entanglements. And Margot was old enough to be my mother.

I didn't see a way around having Y/n live with us though. Sky needed a constant, stable influence, and I doubted it would be a problem anyway. I was probably way too old for her to try to make a play for, and I certainly wasn't going to be tempted by a mousy young girl who was going to be underfoot all the time. She was too young, and I knew better than to get involved with someone who would expect a commitment. Not that I anticipated being tempted in the slightest by the older version of the teen I'd known.