Kiss and Tell

I flashed another dazzling smile at another giggling girl who stood in my way before trying to politely push past her. How many must there be before I can just reach the exit already? God, it seems like they do it on purpose just to annoy me sometimes, although I know that is not the case. The never ending flow of girls is just a day-to-day occurrence for me, one that I suppose I’ll have to live with for the time being. None of them actually care for me in the slightest, which is the real kicker for me, they all just want my recognition so they can go and flaunt it to their friends.

Finally, I make my way outside. I was at the back of the building, where no one ever went. Assuming that I was alone, as I was every other time I’ve come out here, I pulled out a cigarette and lit it.

A voice suddenly broke through my thoughts, startling me momentarily. “Something on your mind, then?”

I spun around to face the voice, which happened to be a girl clad in a leather jacket; leaning on the side of the building next to the door from which I’d just came. Smooth as ever, I took a drag from my burning cigarette before responding. “Why do you ask, darling?”

She pushed off of the wall and walked a few steps towards me, taking a drag on a cigarette of her own while looking me up and down, causing me to smirk slightly. “Well, for one, you didn’t even notice me standing there. For another, you wore the most brooding expression.”

“Well, darling, no one’s usually out here, I had no reason to check. As for my expression, I was just thinking really, nothing important now that you’re here.”

She chuckled at that last bit, saying, “Oh, one of those are you?”

I puffed on the end of my cig while I scanned over her. She had shoulder-length black hair and light green eyes, she wore black skinny jeans, combat boots, and white V-neck T-shirt and a leather jacket. Not bad at all. As my eyes found their way back to hers , I said, “And one of what might you be referring to?”

“Oh, you know, a player, a smooth talker. A boy who thinks he can get any girl he wants, so he chooses none, that way he can have them all.” As she spoke, the girl walked a circle around me, forcing me to turn just so I could look at her while she talked.

“Got me all figured out, then, right princess?”

“First darling, now princess. Really, I’m charmed, you’ve won me over already,” she said in a sarcastic tone with a mischievous glint in her ice green eyes. I liked it.

“Well, if you gave me a name I wouldn’t have to call you by adorable pet names, would I?” I countered smoothly, hoping for a name of this pretty little thing.

She eyed me for a moment as she finished smoking. Crushing the butt of her cig under the heel of her boot, she turned away from me. Walking towards the door, she called over her shoulder, “Darling’s fine.”

I stared at the door that she’d just disappeared through. It looks like he’d just met his match.

The past four years of high school and I’d never met a girl who didn’t play dumb and twirl her hair around her finger while batting her eyelashes up at me. No girl had ever denied me anything, much less their name. Usually girls would tell me anything I wanted to know and offer up information I’d never asked for in the first place. Thoughts swirled around in my unbelieving mind rapidly, but I was happy. I liked the challenge that this girl offered.

Feeling much uplifted in my spirits, I finished smoking before making my way back into the building. For the first time in only God knows how long, I felt a real smile spread across my face. Now all I had to do was find this ‘darling’ of mine.