Kiss and Tell 2

I was starting to get frustrated; I hadn’t seen my little mystery girl since this morning and school was almost over now, with only one class left to suffer through.

I searched through my locker yet again, it felt like I’d done this at least a hundred times in the past two minutes, for my advanced chemistry textbook. Finally, I decided that it was in vain and slammed my locker door shut, just to come face to face with my best friend. Nick held a curious expression as he looked at me intently, it seemed like he was waiting for me to explain myself.

“I can’t find my textbook,” I offered, gesturing vaguely to my locker with my hand.

He shook his head, looking disappointed that I didn’t understand what he was trying to get at.

“Whatever,” he sighed, “Listen, can you give me a lift after school?”

“Sure, man,” I said quickly, starting in the direction of class, “But right now, I’m going to be late. See you then.”

Sure enough, I was late for chemistry. Trying to go unnoticed, I stuck close to the walls as I made my way around to the back of the room. I froze, though, when I heard a voice cut above all the ones of our classmates.

“Mr. Grey, how kind of you to have joined us,” my teacher, Ms. Simon, said dryly.

I turned to shoot her a sheepish smile. “I’m sorry, Ms. Simon. I couldn’t find my textbook.”

She narrowed her eyes, but right as she was about to speak again, the door opened.

From my vantage point, I couldn’t see who it was at first, but I could hear their voice and I recognized it instantly. It was the chick from earlier.

She stepped all the way into the classroom and gave the teacher her name, sadly though, I couldn’t hear what she said. I hoped against hope that the teacher would repeat it to the class.

Ms. Simon focused her attention back on me and I quickly diverted my attention from the black-haired, green-eyed girl. “Mr. Grey, since you lack the materials necessary for today’s lesson, maybe you’d be so kind as to go over your notes with Miss Cross in the hallway?”

I couldn’t have agreed quicker to Ms. Simon’s suggestion. I grinned happily as I made my way to the front of the class.

As I stood before the girl in combat boots, I took her hand and placed a small kiss on the back of it. Smirking, I said, “It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Miss Cross.” I said her last name mockingly.

She scowled, saying, “For you, maybe,” as she yanked her hand out of my grasp.

I chuckled, thinking, ‘Oh, I really do like her.’

“Fine,” I sighed overdramatically, “Come one, let’s get this over with.” I was struggling to keep my face stoic, but a smirk was fighting just as hard to take over my features.

I turned my back to her, smiling broadly as I made my way to the door. When I held it open for her, however, I wiped my face clean of emotion once again, exaggeratedly rolling my eyes as she walked by. I could tell that she was going to be fun to annoy, and I couldn’t wait to get started.

“So,” she said casually, “I thought advanced chem was for smart kids.”

I matched her tone, saying, “A general mistake, don’t worry about it.” I even added a nonchalant shrug when I was finished speaking.

‘And let the battle of wits begin, Miss Cross,’ I thought with a smile gracing my face as I got comfortable on the floor and handed her my notebook.