• t h r e e •

I sit down on a tree stump, my mum sitting in front of me, we came to a clearing in the woods to practise our magic

I sit down on a tree stump, my mum sitting in front of me, we came to a clearing in the woods to practise our magic. I hold my hands out in front of me and the leaves scattered across the floor begin swirling as wind blows around us. I smile, a pleased laugh escaping my lips.

While witches are all powerful beings, the Claire bloodline has always been one of the strongest. Our family alongside the Bennetts kept order over witches, before we all had to run or were killed. I've always been a very powerful witch, but I've always struggled with control, my ring helps-me sort of, and it helps to hide me. 

My mother is also very powerful, but her power has always focused on healing, which is why she works in the medical field, she loves helping people. I never really knew what, or rather who was hunting us, I just knew that we were in danger. My mother always wanted to protect me and so she held back the truth, and I think I find it better that way. 

The wind comes to a stop and my mother claps.

"That was amazing Evelyn!" She compliments me as I slip my ring back on. I smile, proud of the small spell.

We finish up in the woods and go home.

I lay down on my bed, grabbing my book from yesterday and flicking back to my favourite poem.

*the next day*

I park in a space in the school parking lot, sliding out of my car with my stuff

I park in a space in the school parking lot, sliding out of my car with my stuff. Alice waves me over and I approach them.

"Eve, where were you yesterday?" She asks.

"Sorry Alice, I spent a day with my mum" I tell her.

"Don't ditch me again" She threatens and I laugh.

"I won't" I assure her with a smile.

She steps aside and my eyes land on Jasper.

"Jasper!" I exclaim, grinning at the blonde boy. 

"Let me walk you to your class" He offers and I nod, waving 'bye' to Alice and Rose as I walk beside Jasper.

"So, where were you yesterday?" He asks, looking down at me.