Chapter 3: The First Step (TW)

- March 13th, ----

(TW: Intense descriptions of gore)

    M was walking past the rest of the superheroes on Z. He had needed some alone time, as he had gotten into a nasty argument earlier with R. The large letter sighed to himself as he stomped, hearing the voices behind him grow more mute. Soon, it was silent. He was alone. As M stopped his walk to regather his thoughts and try to calm himself down, he could've sworn he heard footsteps. M looked around, trying to distinguish where the noises came from. The area around him was empty. Maybe he was hearing things. M looked up at the sky, taking a deep breath. 

    L had been following M for a while, sneaking around the rest of the letters, slowing his steps as much as possible, and waiting for M to be at a perfect, isolated position. He knew once everyone's voices were out of earshot, that M was truly alone. Nobody would hear him. L started stepping forward, preparing for his ambush.

   The next thing M felt was a sudden, splitting pain on his back, as L started to cut a large dash down his back with his sharp stone. He made a loud, pained yell. However, he was alone. Nobody could hear him. "Grryah-! What the fuck?! Who ARE you!?" M yelled out, twisting and turning his body, in a feeble attempt to dismount his attacker. Unfortunately for M, all this did was drive L's weapon deeper into his body, making his pain all the more agonizing. L twisted his rock slightly, swinging around M's back, and kicking himself off of M's left side. This sent M to the floor.

   Now with a glance to identify who attacked him, M crawled backwards, grunting in pain as he dragged his large, open wound across the dirty ground. He looked forwards, and his eyes widened when he saw who it was. "...L..?" That was the only thing his mind could sputter out. L was back, after so many years... it looked like his banishment had taken a toll on him. L laughed a bit to himself, staring down at his Ex-Friend. "It's been a long while, M. At least for you." M shook his head, snapping himself out of his shock, before raising his leg, attempting to sock L in the face. L simply darted his head to the side, slitting M's ankle open. Another loud scream exited M, as he put his leg back to his side. There goes walking on that thing. 

   L raised his stone blade, walking forward. He shoved M back on the ground, stepping on him. He looked down at M again, a small smile growing at the corners of his mouth. L didn't say anything. Taunting M wouldn't change his fate. "P-Please, just..." M knew he was defenseless now, trying to speak one final desperate message to L. An attempt to survive this ordeal. L responded by lowering his weapon into M's stomach. M screamed in pain, tears forming at the edges of his eyes as L cut into his lower abdomen, his red skin tearing open like paper. Blood spilled onto the floor, making a large red puddle underneath him. M's eyes darted downwards towards the wound, before looking up at L one final time. 

"Goodbye, Old Friend."

    Those were the last words M heard, before L stabbed him in-between the eyes. M's world quickly went black, and his pained and shocked face was frozen in place, forever immortalized in his expression. L stared down at his victim, before stepping off of M's corpse. He knew M would be found eventually. Good. Before he left, however, L dipped his weapon into M's blood, drawing a '1' on the ground next to him. L took a few moments to stare at M's corpse, allowing his actions to settle in. He felt satisfied for the time being. ..He'd be seeing some new events between the letters, that's for sure. Before L left, he picked up M's comma gem, taking it with him. He never found out how his own gem worked, but it was obvious these things had power. Maybe he can find out how to use it.

L turned around, and fled the scene. His work was done.

He made his first step.