𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

╔══════ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ══════╗
Thursday, September 12th, 1991.
Hogwarts School, Scotland.
╚══════ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ══════╝

───── IT WAS ONLY TWO WEEKS INTO THE SCHOOL YEAR, and already the library was beginning to get busy

───── IT WAS ONLY TWO WEEKS INTO THE SCHOOL YEAR, and already the library was beginning to get busy. It was mostly older students—sixth and seventh years who wanted to get ahead of their exams—or the rare first year who had just now figured out how to get to it without getting lost.

    As a result, the room—which had previously been unnervingly silent—now had a constant mutter of hushed voices, speaking between the shelves and huddled around the tables. She knew it was selfish, but Lacerta had honestly been hoping that the library would remain a little less crowded for a little while longer. She enjoyed the always available tables, and that there was never a struggle to find a book.

    She wasn't the only one.

Emma, her Hufflepuff acquaintance, set two books on the table and all but collapsed into her chair. "I almost had to fight a Ravenclaw for these." She said, slightly dazed.

Dramatically, Lacerta raised a hand to her mouth and gasped. "Godric, it's a miracle you're alive!"

"You laugh and yet," Emma snorted, pushing one closer to Lacerta. "Here's your copy."

Brightening, Lacerta pulled the book in front of her. The cover was a dark red, with silver etchings. Alchemical Bloodlines, was printed in swirling letters.

"The title is a bit dramatic." Lacerta noted.

"It's just to catch your attention," Emma defended. "And it really does fit not just the story, but the themes—!"

Lacerta pointed the book in Emma's direction. "Ah! No rants. It ruins the point of book club."

    The Hufflepuff scoffed. "Your quick judgment is ruining book club."

    "It wasn't a judgment. Just... pointing out the name is kind of silly."

    Groaning, Emma let her head fall back. "But that's what I'm talking about! It's not silly!"

    Lacerta couldn't help but roll her eyes. "Very specific, then." She amended.

    "You'll be changing your tune once you read it, I swear." Emma squinted at Lacerta, scrutinizing her.

    "I don't need to change my tune! I'm not even insulting the book!" Lacerta laughed, shaking her head. Then, she flexed her fingers around the book. "But I'll definitely start it when I can."