Infinity War - What Should Have Been

After nearly getting their butts handed to them by aliens and saving Wanda and Vision, Natasha, Steve and Sam went back to the Avengers compound.

Natasha didn't have as many facts as she'd like. All she knew was that Tony was gone, aliens were invading, and Vision needed to be protected. At least that's what Steve told her when he explained the situation.

After greeting and hugging Rhodey, Natasha heard a familiar voice.

"I think you guys look great." Bruce stepped out from the doorway and said, "Yeah, I'm back."

Natasha couldn't stop staring at the man she still adored. He had been gone for three years and now he was several feet in front of her.

His shirt and jacket were torn, and he looked like he had taken a beating before coming inside the building.

Her feet moved toward him on their own accord, and she hugged him to her, burying her face in his shoulder. She felt his arms wrap around her and heard Steve say, "Let's give these two a moment."

They stayed like that for several seconds until Natasha broke the hug. She didn't realize she had been crying until he was brushing her tears away.

"Where were you? I looked everywhere for months."

"Space. Thor found me on some planet that seemed to like Hulk. I was trapped as him for, I guess three years now. I de-hulked on the planet and one more time just as I got here. Got beat up by Thanos. Nat, he's strong enough to defeat Hulk and Thor's gone. Now, I'm having trouble Hulking out because of the fight I had with him. Some aliens on his side took Tony, a guy named Doctor Strange and a kid called Spider-Man."

She nodded and inspected his face. He had closed cuts and fainted bruises, and a black eye that was slowly healing on its own.

"Well, the good news is your healing factor is helping," she told him. Any injuries the Hulk got tended to take longer to heal.

Bruce nodded and looked at her the way he did before he left, which she could only describe as complete adoration.

The next thing she knew their lips had met and she grabbed the collar of his jacket while he put his arms around her waist.

When they parted, he said, "I love you. You don't have to say it back, I just wanted you to know."

Love was not an easy word for her to use. Other than the love for her family, she had never felt any type of romantic love until Bruce.

"I still adore you," she said softly while pressing her forehead to his. Hoping he would understand her, she confessed her love in Russian, "я тебя люблю."

He smiled at that, and she knew he understood her.

"So blonde, huh?"

She raised her eyebrow at him, "What's wrong with blonde?"

"Nothing," he said. "It looks good on you. Other than Tony and Steve not speaking, the accords and Ross somehow being involved, what else did I miss?"

"A lot. I'll catch you up later."

He nodded and she was about to kiss him again until the others came back inside.

Normally she'd be annoyed, but they had a job to finish.

NOTE: This is just for the one scene. I also made it slightly AU with Hulk getting too injured to fight.