Chapter 1: First Meeting

(*Note: This story is written in 3rd person with slight differences when the pov switches from Obanai to Mitsuri's.)

The Demon Slayer Corps was a difficult, unforgiving yet rewarding organization. It had always been.

It rewarded its valued slayers through many ways: money, status, friends.. and love.

One such case was the story of two skilled pillars: Mitsuri Kanroji and Obanai Iguro. This, dearest reader, is the story of how two opposites carved a now vacant place out for themselves amidst a dangerous, uncertain career.

Obanai Iguro was the Snake Pillar. He was reserved, witty, and sharp-tongued. Despite the negative traits he possessed, he was loyal. Today was the day he proved his loyalty once more by traveling to the Master's mansion.

The Pillar traced the scarred slits running across his mouth that plagued his face. Such ugly markings were not to be seen. He stared at his reflection some more. His unusual eyes were not to be stared at either. Obanai hated them. They only existed to remind him of his hideous features.

Luckily for Iguro, bandages were a resource that could aid in relieving those around him of his scars. He had no desire to eat often, so replacing the bandage mask was no bother.

He reached for the soft roll, precisely winding out the exact measurement he needed. He tore off the amount and began wrapping his saving grace around his face, making sure not to cover his nose. He still needed to breathe, although it didn't make much of a difference to him. Whether or not he lived a fulfilling life was trivial. He only existed to aid in the destruction of those pesky demons. If anything, dying would be a reward.

"To the Master's mansion," Obanai muttered, his voice slightly muffled. His loyal snake, Kaburamaru, hugged his arm the best a creature without limbs could. Obanai gave his companion a quick pat on the head, trying to pass it off as a dismissive act.

He donned his striped haori before quickly moving toward the mansion. As he went ahead to the mansion, Mitsuri Kanroji, the Love Pillar, was wandering around the garden that encircled the quarters.

She was excited. This time, she would be the first one to greet the Master. She was sure of it.

"I will greet the Master today!" Mitsuri exclaimed, balling her hands into fists with excitement. She twirled around for a moment. Today had been wonderful for her!

She had started off the morning by making sure her three braids were neat and even. As for her uniform, she made sure it wasn't too wrinkled.

Mitsuri had arrived earlier than most of the other pillars. This was all a part of her not-so-thought-out plan. Besides, she loved greeting everyone as they arrived. It brightened her day even more, and she hoped it did the same for those on the receiving end of her excited attention.

Suddenly, she was pulled out of her thoughts when she heard someone walking on gravel, presumably to go stand before the doors of the mansion.

She quickly ran over and excitedly waved.

"Good morning!" she greeted the visitor. She found herself before the Snake Hashira. He looks so classy today! she thought to herself.

Obanai nodded in acknowledgment. "Greetings."Although he seemed bored, he was rather startled. The other pillars were friendly to some extent but kept to themselves for the most part. The Love Pillar was different, though. She was excitable and rather childish at times, though it was all charming.

Mitsuri smiled brightly. "Why do you think we were called here today?"

Obanai was almost too busy staring at her to reply. He cleared his throat and stood up straight, pulling his eyes off her. He was convinced he could feel her judgment, but then again, he was fairly paranoid.