Chapter 1

NOTE: THIS HASN'T BEEN PROOFREAD OR EDITED OR BETA-READ. ENJOY. 

The morning sun hadn't yet fully asserted itself over the city as Sophie Martin neared the imposing silhouette of the Ashford & Pearce law firm. Anxiety fluttered in her stomach, a relentless tide threatening to pull her under with every step closer she took towards the steel and glass titan. This was her first day, the fresh start she'd been anticipating since passing her final exams. However, standing in the shadow of the giant, her enthusiasm felt as small and insignificant as she did.

Inside, an intimidating hum of activity enveloped her. Everywhere she looked, professionals dressed in tailored suits, faces serious and set, moved with purpose. Phones buzzed, keyboards clattered, and conversations swirled in hushed yet hurried tones. A relentless symphony of ambition and success that left her feeling dizzy. This was a world away from the safe, scholastic halls she'd inhabited only weeks ago.

Finally reaching the reception desk, the redhead inhaled a deep breath before pushing through the receptionist. "Hi, I'm Sophie Martin." Her blue eyes focused on the woman at the front of the line, sitting at a desk with nothing but a phone to her ear. A deep frown carved into the woman's otherwise composed face. "I'm here to start working for Ms. Ashford."

The woman's eyes narrowed as her fingers moved to the keyboard. "Do you have an appointment?"

Sophie flinched, biting her lip as she glanced around the room. "Err, yes..."

The receptionist cut in before Sophie could reply. "What did you say your name was again?"

"Sophie Martin. I'm the new apprentice. From Columbia University."

The receptionist rolled her eyes, clearly unimpressed. "Alright, alright. Ms. Ashford is in conference with other lawyers right now. I can't let you in now."

The girl's eyes darted around the room. She met the bored face of a man dressed in a neatly pressed suit in the center of the room. When the receptionist continued to ignore her, the man's gaze shifted back to Sophie. She couldn't help but feel like she had been caught shoplifting.

The man spoke, curtly. "You may wait on the bench behind you until she is done. She will be done soon."

Before she could reply, the receptionist spoke again, breaking the awkward silence. "Do you have your entrance papers?"

"I-I have them right here." She stammered.

"Right..." The receptionist grabbed Sophie's papers, holding them out to the man. "Sorry, but you need a photocopy of your passport, and photocopies of your report cards, student identification card, and birth certificate."

Sophie gasped. When she applied for an interview, nobody had told her to bring all that paperwork.

The receptionist's stern face seemed to soften as she offered a half-hearted apology. "Sorry, just following protocol. If you could—"

Her words were cut off by the sudden opening of a door from a hallway leading to the back offices. The clamor in the office hushed, replaced by an eerie, anticipatory silence. Every eye in the room, including Sophie's, was drawn to the figure who'd emerged.