0| PROLOGUE

─────❝0| PROLOGUE❞─────

Japan Karate Championship, 2013

The score was tied at 1 for each competitor.

The screams around the stadium were deafening. Her heartbeat was resonating through her ears as she wiped the sweat from the side of her face. She listened to what her sensei said, barely registering the words.

The referee called them to the center again after the timeout was called. They took their positions, each at one side, and got into their fighting stance.

"Kenka!" Fight he said, so they did.

The youngest of the competition was just a 12-year-old competing against a 16-year-old.  Most would say that was an unfair advantage for the older one but the competitors' history told you otherwise. The 12-year-old was too good to be competing in the juniors competition, having won it 3 times.

He approached her, sending the first fist but she defended herself, and threw a kick to his side, pushing him back. The girl was overpowering her opponent, sending kicks that were blocked but were definitely making him tired and uncomfortable.

She continued to throw her punches until she saw the opportunity and swiped his feet, making him land on his left side, a small crack resonating through her ears.

She punched his chest. She scored the point, 2-1 for her.

But her opponent was in pain. Not screaming but definitely hurt. He got up and his coach signaled for a second time out, urging to give him a second to recover. Medics were called and a delay was given, making both contestants take a breather.

She didn't need it, she was in the zone, adrenaline pumping through her veins, but her sensei noticed she was getting vicious, so he called for her to calm down, something difficult to do in the middle of a competition.

The 30-minute delay ended but he was nowhere to be found, automatically making her the winner. For the fourth time.

It was a mistake. A mistake that cost him his arm, his career. A mistake that she caused. Just the swipe of her feet caused it. And it will haunt her for the rest of her life.

Mai opened her eyes, taking a deep breath as she shook the memories away. She changed poses and looked at the roof of her apartment. Lately, the memories of that night have been haunting her every time she was meditating. It was getting tiring and she just wanted things to go back to normal.

Her parents watched her from the doorway of their room. They knew what her expression meant, the expression of pain she had.

She was remembering that night. The night that changed everything for their legacy. The night that basically ended Kuroki Karate for them. The night Mai Kuroki decided she had enough and she wanted out.

Mai was never one to back out from things she loved, never. But karate was the first thing she started to resent. It made her angry, and feral. Dangerous. So Mai decided it was enough and she needed to regain her childhood. So she left and didn't look back.

Her parents didn't complain, they wanted their daughter to be happy, and healthy. To feel good. So they accepted her decision.

"I know you're staring," Mai said, opening her eyes and staring directly at her parents. "Calm down, it's not that bad today."

"But it's still happening, baby."

"Yeah, but I'm controlling it, so please don't worry." Mai smiled at her mother, reassuring her mom that things were okay.

Yeah, things were definitely okay... for now.