12. Luxury Brand Shop

(tw: attempted SA)

••••

Without any work to fill up her evenings, the rest of the week passed regretfully quickly. Ari had received her share of money from the stream---which turned out to be a truly astounding number, even after deducting Paprika TV's commission and then being halved again---so she no longer had to worry about a tight budget. And, better yet, she was now free to spend some time with her friends, or do all her homework at a reasonable time, or sleep a full 9 or 10 hours just because.

She hadn't even needed to nap in school these last few days, which drew several curious looks from the people around her.

"What's with you?" Zack had asked, by lunchtime of the second consecutive day that she went through classes without putting her head down on the desk even once. Ari could spot Daniel peeking over beside him, also curious.

"I've been given some days off work," Ari told him, staying patiently still while Mira twisted little braids into her hair.

"For how long?" demanded Zoe, swinging her legs from where she perched on Ari's desk. "That means we have tons of time to hang out, right? I'm calling first dibs on Friday, Saturday, Sunday... oh wait, we already have plans for Sunday. Then, Monday, too---"

"You may as well call dibs on her whole week," Mira pointed out, tucking in one of the braids with a pin.

"Great idea! Then, dibs on Ari for the whole week!"

Jay, sitting next to her, pursed his mouth a bit, clearly not liking that idea.

Idly patting his knee to reassure him that she would not actually allow her entire week to be monopolized, Ari grinned up at Zoe. "Friday and Sunday are fine, but I actually have plans for Saturday and I dunno how long that'll take."

"Plans?" Zoe leaned forward immediately, her eyes glinting. "Are you going on a date?"

Ari gave her a nonplussed look. "'Plans' can mean literally anything in the world."

"But you're not denying it," Zoe said proudly. "I have a special sense for sniffing hot tea, you know."

Exasperated, Ari said, "It's not a date." Then she paused. Did he think it was a date? Had she accidentally set up a date with the hot gangster from the library? "I think."

"You think it's not a date," Zoe crowed, gleeful. "Which means it could be a date! Is he hot? Is he rich?"

"Is he good-natured?" asked Mira, gently. "I hope he's a kind person."

To Zoe, Ari could have given confident answers, which sounded something like 'absolutely' and 'yes, based on his luxury brand clothes'. Mira, on the other hand, was asking something that was beyond her. He had seemed decent enough over texts, but Ari was just now realizing she didn't even know this guy's name.

"Of course it's most important to have a good personality," agreed Zoe. Her eyes flickered over to Daniel, who was pretending not to listen, and then back. "That's a given!"

"I'm just helping him buy something," said Ari, which was really what she had thought until about three seconds ago.

"Well, it wouldn't hurt to help him buy something while looking really hot, even if nothing happens," Zoe said sagely. "We're going shopping on Friday, no objections allowed! No boys either!"

Scowling, Zack opened his mouth to protest.

Mira gave a cheery smile. "That sounds good to me. It's exactly what I needed."