24 - Revenge or not Revenge?

With Zagan gone, Kitten appeared, meowing furiously. His water bowl was empty. He'd run out of litter and must have been starving. I wanted more than anything to pour myself a big glass of B-negative, but the little monster wouldn't leave me alone until I'd provided for his needs. He scurried over to the bowl of fresh water, sniffed the litter sand, and settled down to lay the smelliest turd in creation. I evacuated the horror into a plastic bag, which joined the pile of rubbish at the foot of the stairs. Then I washed my hands and settled into my armchair to enjoy a well-earned drink. Kitten jumped on my desk and let out an outraged meow: how dare I drink when he hadn't eaten!

"It's all right, Devourer of Worlds. I've got something for you."

I opened the can of cat food. The contents stank as bad as kitten poo. I couldn't imagine what it would smell like when I found it at the bottom of the litter box.

"Ah, I don't have a plate. You'll have to eat right off the..."

Kitten didn't wait for me to put the can down on the desk before pouncing on its contents. He devoured it in a matter of moments. The little monster finally satisfied, I was allowed to pour myself a glass of B-negative. I needed to think. Of course, just then, the phone rang.

"Germain, what's this bullshit?"

"Sofia, good evening to you too. Did you get my message?"

"What do you think? You know I don't want anything more to do with demons! And you..."

"And me nothing," I cut in. "The demon came to see me. He's looking for a sorcerer. I thought I'd give you a heads-up so you can avoid him. You're welcome."

I was about to hang up but stopped myself at the last moment. "I need a magic ring," I said.

"One that changes color according to your mood?"

"What's that? I... No. A ring that can subdue a demon."

"You want Solomon's seal? Will that be all?"

"It's not the only ring of its kind, and you know it. I'm sure you've done extensive research on the subject. Can it be made?"

"No, and not for lack of trying."

"Crap."

"Tell me about it. However..."

"What?"

"I'm pretty sure I saw one in the Louvre last winter."

"A magic ring? At the museum? And you didn't steal it?"

"Honey, do you think I'm Fantomas? Long gone are my cat-burglar days, and museum security has become too tight for my thick fingers. But you should take a look. Near Eastern Antiquities Galerie. Good luck."

And she hung up on me.

If she'd seen a magic ring in the Louvre and hadn't stolen it, there could only be one explanation: she already had another way to protect herself from the demon who'd bought her soul. Yet she continued to fear the "boys downstairs," refusing even to utter the word "demon." What was this old witch up to? Did she have her own magic ring? I couldn't imagine her lending it to me, but if I insisted... I'd have to get her to talk, gently. Sofia might have the solution to my problem.

On the desk, Kitten had emptied his can of stinking food and was attacking the empty blood bag. I watched him disembowel the poor thing, and tried to sort out my thoughts.

"Do you think Zagan would keep his promise? Do you think he'd make me human?"

Kitten didn't comment on the question and continued to murder the blood bag.

"And if I become human again, do I have a better or worse chance of beating him and getting my revenge?"

This time Kitten gave me a moment's attention. He fixed his yellow eyes on mine, tilted his head and said: "Meow?"

"It's simple. As a vampire, I'm much stronger and faster than a human. But Zagan is still stronger and faster than me. So that's not the way to defeat him. I'll probably have to use magic. And that I can do at least as well as a human. Better, no doubt, since I'll once again be able to invoke the protection of the Lord and the angels. Unless I destroy the codex. Do you think the Creator will mind if I prevent the Apocalypse?"

This time Kitten said nothing but gave me a long look. He was right again. Whatever happens once I've helped Zagan save us from the end of the world, it would probably be a thousand times better than suffering the Last Judgment. "And the dead were judged according to their works..." Ouch, I'd killed far, far too many people to expect a favorable sentence.

"How much you want to bet they'll throw me into the lake of fire, with Satan and the Antichrist?"

"Meow?"

"Yep. If Bel and his fanatics manage to open that book, I'm finished, and you'll have to move back in with Romane. Which means I have to team up with the demon who cursed me, hoping to neutralize the codex. After that, whether Zagan keeps his word or not, I'll have my revenge."

Kitten left the bloodless bag and sat up straight in front of me. He looked like an Egyptian statuette I'd seen in the Louvre.

"Yes," I said, "let's get to work, starting with protecting this place properly. First with a reinforced door, then a bit of magic."

The directory listed some fifty locksmiths in the first arrondissement, and a good number of them advertised reinforced doors. I called a nearby company and negotiated an immediate visit. No sooner had I hung up than the phone rang. It was Sofia again.

"He was here! He was here, in my home!"

I pulled the receiver away from my ear.

"Who?" I said. "Zagan?"

"DON'T SAY HIS NAME ON THE PHONE!"

"But was it him?"

"How many whores in blue faux-fur can break through my protections?"

"Yeah, that was him. What did he want with you?"

"I didn't ask! I sneaked out through the skylight. Can you imagine, at my age, running on the roofs like a youngster?"

"I'm coming..."

"NO! Don't come near me again. I'm leaving Paris tonight anyway."

"You, leaving Paname? Come on, when was the last time you crossed the ring road?"

"It was the last time I had a demon on my tail! So thanks for the info, and don't ever try to contact me again."

Once again, Sofia hung up on me.