The Condo

Sam patted his pockets for his wallet. The receptionist at the front desk waited for him while his wife sighed.

"Hun, you probably left it in the car. I told you to make sure that it was ready."

"And I thought it was."

"I'm sorry, miss, we'll be right back."

Rachel took her husband by the arm and pulled him aside. He grunted and followed, dragging their luggage with him.

"We've been doing this for years, and you still don't have your card ready by now?"

"Come on, 'Chelle, I just forgot it."

"Well then hurry up and remember it, we don't have all day."

"Yeah, yeah, I know."

He gave her a smile and a kiss, and they went back to the parking lot. The cold air bit at them. Sam zipped up his jacket as he got to his car. Checking the front seats, he found his wallet and heard a dull explosion. He looked up and found no color in the dark sky.

"Was that a firework?" he asked.

"Maybe, isn't it a bit early for some?"

"I don't think there is a 'too early' in this country."

"Then come on, I bet you wanna get a good look when it starts."

Sam chuckled and shut the front door. Another boom sounded, and he glanced up. No flash, nor smaller booms followed it. Maybe he should take his gun, just in case.

He walked to the trunk and opened it.

"What are you doing?" Rachel asked.

"Grabbing Plan B."

She sighed. "You really think that those aren't fireworks?"

"Never hurts to be prepared, hun."

"Fine. But if we get in trouble because of that, you're on your own."

"Nothing that I can't handle."

Sam took the gun case from the trunk and closed it. The two headed back into the hotel and back to the reception desk. The receptionist greeted them back and asked for identification. Sam and Rachel presented theirs.

"Excellent, now we'll just need to check your belongings. Please head to the sides and our guard will see you to it."

The couple did, and the guard asked them to take everything out of their pockets. They did and put it all into a small conveyor belt, along with their luggage, which led into a scanning machine. Sam put the gun case on the belt, and before it moved an inch, he whispered: "By the way, sir, I'm legally carrying a nine-millimeter in this case here."

The guard stopped the conveyor belt.

"You understand that weapons aren't allowed past this point, right?"

"Yes, but with everything going on, I thought it'd be safer than sorry."

"Even at the cost of breaking a rule of private property, sir?"

"Yes."

The guard sighed and waved Sam closer.

"Listen, I don't get paid enough and we all just want to get on with the holiday. So keep this hush-hush, and pretend that I didn't scan the case, alright?"

"Yes, sir."

"Get going."

"Thank you, and have a great night."

"Yeah, yeah. You too."

The guard yawned and shooed him away. Sam grabbed all of the luggage and brought his wife to the elevator. She only shook her head and he kissed her cheek.