33. Someone Is Always Watching

I made it back to the school with only moments to spare. Even though I'd only used the glamour for a few minutes, I felt drained and sick to my stomach. I dropped my bike to the ground and walked toward the field house. The second half of this game was going to be pure torture. I clutched my stomach in pain and leaned against the door to the field house, not wanting to go inside.

"I think a lot of people underestimate you, Harper."

I swung around to find Mrs. King standing at the bottom of the field house steps, watching me.

"Oh gosh, you scared me," I said, out of breath. My heart was already racing from the bike ride, and now it sped up from fear.

"I don't want to see you get into any trouble," she said. She climbed the stairs toward me, a serious expression on her face.

"I don't know what you mean."

Mrs. King placed her hand on the small of my back. I could feel the demon writhe against my skin.

"Someone is always watching," she said. "Especially when you're a recruit. I would hate to see you get mixed up with the wrong kind of people."

My heart skipped and panic set in. Did she know I'd been to see Jackson?

"Are you saying this tattoo does more than just let me into the training room?" I asked.

Mrs. King looked around. "I'm saying that nothing is ever as simple as it seems. And you never know when the Order might be watching you."

With that, she opened the doors to the field house and announced to the squad that it was time to get back into the stadium.

I doubled over against the metal railing and threw up.