Prologue

(3rd pov)

Gun Gale Online was a world where its players used guns instead of swords to fight. It was a fresh take on VR games that turned out to be the exact change that the populace of VR players had wanted. In GGO they could speed across a sandy desert in a Humvee or have sniper duels in the ruins of an old city. There were many sights to behold that a fantasy VR game could never have. The main safe zone, SBC Glocken, was home to many shops, casinos, bars, and merchants. Currently, there is an interview with two tournament winners going on in one of the bars. The players in question were XexeeD and Yamikaze.

XeXeeD: These players who think it's all about their agility, heh, they're livin' in a dream. I mean sure, firing speed and evasion is important, and time was if you rocked those two things, that was all you needed to win. 'Til now that is. Yeah, I hate to say it, but it doesn't work like that anymore. I got a message for the folks that spent the last eight months indoors boosting their AGI. It sucks to be you right now, doesn't it?

The crowd booed while some players angrily shouted. It was clear that they had done precisely what Xexeed said they did and wasted a mountain of time boosting their agility.

Interviewer: Now that's the kind of comment we can expect to hear from one of the top players of Gun Gale Online, one of the most challenging VR MMOs.

XeeXeed: I guess, but who knows if I'll be on MMO stream again, so might as well stir things up a bit.

Interviewer(Laughs): Oh please. So, do you think you have a shot at winning the upcoming Bullet of Bullets?

XeeXeeD: Damn right honey. I wouldn't be in it if I didn't think I could win it.

XeeXeeD made a big show of flinging his hair back while the players watching the stream booed some more.

Yamikaze: It won't be that easy XeeXeed. The BoB is a solo tourney, so it's much different. What worked for you up to now won't necessarily work again. If I were you, I wouldn't chalk my wins up to my status type.

XeeXeeD: Yeah, well, if anything my wins point to some big changes happening in GGO. You're all about AGI Yamikaze. Figures you'd be in denial.

Yamikaze groaned while XeeXeeD stood up and addressed the audience.

XeXeeD: Wake up people. 'Til now, the best strategy was boosting your AGI and shooting a powerful gun as fast as you could. But the reality is, the balance of gameplay in an MMO is always changing. Especially in games like this one, where you can't respec your stats. You have to think ahead and be smart when using your points. Cause the best weapon in one level zone might not work in the next one. Besides, the new guns coming out are gonna have higher strength requirements and accuracy bonuses.

Player: You remember when he was saying how great bein' an AGI type was? That dick totally scammed us.

Unbeknownst to the player, someone dressed in a black cloak stood up and walked before the screen, brandishing a pistol.

???: You're nothing but a fake XeXeeD, and now, you'll face judgment from someone with real power.

The players laughed at the new arrivals' words as he made a catholic cross gesture on his chest.

*BANG*

The mysterious player fired the pistol after finishing the cross gesture.

XeeXeeD: All I'm sayin' is, what's important in the end is the players' ability to-

XeeXeeD suddenly started making a choking sound before he collapsed and was forcibly logged out. Everyone was confused until the interviewer spoke.

Interviewer: Uh oh, it seems like there's a bad connection here. I'm sure he'll be back soon. Stay tuned for more MMO stream.

???: THIS IS REAL POWER, REAL STRENGTH. Let your fear carve one name into your brain. The name I share with this weapon...Deathgun!!!