Chapter 11

"That's a good friend, not a leader." Says Miguel, continuing his relentless assault on the punching bag. "The best person I could ever ask for." Another punch. "So close, yet always so far." And another.

"With that stupid smile."

Punch.

"Stupid laugh."

Punch.

"God, I hate them so much that I love them."

He punches the bag so hard it flies off the chain, sending it flying towards the wall. The man pants, and buries his face in his hands.

"You done?" Asks Jessica, looking unimpressed at the dent the punching bag caused to the wall. "Honestly, this is not cute Miguel, it's pathetic. I know, you know, that saying all this and then not doing anything about it is bullshit."

Miguel groans into his hands, refusing to look at her.

"Are you this set on being a martyr?" She scoffs. "Please. If you keep up with this shit I might actually believe that you enjoy the slow and painful death. I'm tired of this, and this isn't even about me. How do you think they feel, huh?"

It's only at the mention of you that Miguel finally turns around. "They... they feel fine, it's not like-"

"Shut up." Jessica cuts him off. "They are literally working their ass off to keep you alive, doing all these little things, all these big things - if not for them, you'd already be dead. Is it actually that hard to believe that they don't like you back? You know, at this point I'm pretty sure the only reason why you're still suffering is because of denial." She pinches the bridge of her nose.

"...How would that even work?"

"Don't ask me, ask them! They're the hanahaki expert." Jessica leans against the wall as Miguel walks up to her.

"I-" He swallows. "Do you really think I'm a martyr?"

"Yes Miguel, Jesus. A stupid one at that." She looks up at him, gaze unwavering. Miguel holds it for a few seconds before shamefully looking away. "Anyway, I'll go. Think about your, 'replacement' and lord help me, you are confessing to them the next time you see them." She strongly jabs her finger at him, pushing him away. "You won't burn. Trust me."

Miguel's hands twitch at his sides. "I'll think about it." Jessica sighs and shakes her head.

"I tried." She walks away but stops for a second just as she's about to turn the corner. "Sorry for being rash. I think you needed it."

With that, she exits the training grounds, leaving Miguel alone in the vast room.

"I did." He says to himself. "And I'll do it."