Chapter 1

Tristyn

"Tristyn!" My mom called from downstairs.

I was awake but still in bed on my phone. I pulled the covers to the side and stepped onto soft, carpeted floor of my room. I looked down at my phone to check the time. Already 8:00!

I ran to my closet and threw on a lime green sweater and some black sweatpants. I then ran down the narrow hall and to the only bathroom.

I can't believe I have to share a bathroom with like my entire family.

I brushed through my straight orange hair, and instead of brushing my teeth I grabbed a mint from my drawer and sprinted down the hard, wooden steps, almost falling. I stumbled onto the cool marble floor in the dining room. Sun shine through the blinds in front of the window. I heard my mom's voice from the kitchen. She was talking to Char about some stupid middle school assignment.

I had hated middle school.

I walked over to the kitchen counter where a large piece of project paper was spread out on the granite. I stopped to try and read it but Char was in the way. I kept walking over to the fridge, ignoring their conversation.

I opened the fridge and pulled out a small Ziplock bag with an english muffin stuffed inside. I popped it into the toaster and waited. The toaster was still warm so I assumed that Char probably made some toast. I glanced over at her, and the empty plate full of crumbs in front of Char confirmed my assumptions.

"So, what's this about?" I asked, raising my eyebrows and waiting for them to answer. They completely ignored me. Still going on and on about the stupid piece of paper. I debated whether or not to ask again.

"What, honey?" My mom finally turned to face me. Char turned too, both of them looking at me.

"Uh . . . never mind," I muttered, turning back to the toaster where my slightly burnt english muffin was. I picked each piece out of the toaster and set it on a paper towel. I spread some butter on the top. Then I rolled up the paper towel and ran towards the door.

I didn't bother to say goodbye to my mom and my sister since they were still conversing about the project. The bus was at my driveway by the time I got outside. I ran down the sidewalk and up the hard, metal steps of the bright yellow bus.

"Good morning Tristyn," Mr. Right said as I stepped into the bus. I just nodded and smiled. I walked to the back of the bus, sliding into my usual seat.

The bus started moving and we were halfway to the start of a new school week. As usual, there was barely anyone on the bus. I watched the ocean as we drove. The calm crash of the waves was comforting.

I knew Lexi was basically the last person to get picked up so it would be awhile until I saw him. I then remembered that it was Monday so I had a band concert today.

Shit. Band concert. I hate band concerts. I thought I would like band but I ended up hating it.

I had made excuses all year to not go to them. But only like, 1 out of 2 worked. Slowly, the bus came to a stop. At Lexi's stop. He stepped on the bus and walked to the back. He smiled at me as he sat down.

"Hi," I said. He finished setting his bag down.

"Hi," We both sat in silence for the last 15 minutes of the ride. The waves were just small swells. Not as big as they were on Friday when me, Lexi, and Quinton went to Main Street beach to surf. We basically forced Quinton to come.

The bus pulled up to the small Mt. Desert Island High School. The building only held around 500 students. I walked off the bus with Lexi. The silence was awkward. And it wasn't normal.