2🗡️

Tell me...if you still care...

Let me know
Have you started to lose
Your love for me
And if so...
Will you still continue
To be on my side?

Tell me...if you still care...about me
Tell me girl...
Tell me...if you still care...about me

I was so
Insecure with you
Did you still want me?
So I let go
Of the feeling that you
Were still all mine

Tell me...if you still care...about me
Show me that you care
Tell me...if you still care...about me

Must we both
Go on being confused
And placing blame
My heart knows
That you're my number one
Do you feel the same way too?

As the sun dipped lower in the sky, painting the world in hues of orange and pink, I could feel the familiar wave of joy wash over me. Lyric and I had set up our makeshift stage on the hood of my old car, parked in my backyard, surrounded by the gentle grasses that brushed against our legs. Our song played in the background, a melody that had become our anthem, capturing the essence of our friendship—filled with laughter, dreams, and the bittersweet reality of our lives.

"Tell me... if you still care... about me!" Lyric's voice rang out, playful and vibrant as she twirled in the grass, her movements carefree, as if the troubles of the world didn't exist. She laughed, her eyes sparkling, and I couldn't help but smile at her infectious energy.

"If you still care!" I chimed in, and we both erupted into laughter, the sound mixing with the fading notes of our song.

I munch on a handful of goldfish crackers, watching her dance. It was our last break of the day before we'd have to return to our responsibilities. I had my work as a cashier at one of the local grocery stores, while Lyric juggled multiple jobs, trying to support her family despite the challenges they faced. The days were long, and this moment of joy was like a precious gem in a sea of bleakness.

"Let's go to the park?" I suggested, my voice playful, but I already knew the answer.

On our way there, we had spotted a crowd gathering, music and laughter spilling from the gates. "Krogers is not gonna cut it for me. Can't be there forever," I said, shaking my head in disappointment.

"Me too. I need something better though. Can't take care of my brother this way," she replied, her tone dropping a notch. Her passion for her family always overshadowed her own ambitions, and it weighed heavy in her heart.

"What else are you trying to do?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"I don't know yet. I just want a better position somewhere. Imma try the hospital pharmacy soon." Her smile returned, trying to battle the shadows lurking in her eyes.

"Go for it. Maybe when I get big on YouTube, we can take some trips together... make a vlog for the channel." I nudged her, lightening the mood.

She beamed, her excitement palpable. "That would be so fun! We can go to Japan—maybe even France! Always wanted to go there!"

"We gone make it happen! We will make that happen!" I declared with a fierce determination that made her laugh.

"In my head, I'm already calling my dad and saying, 'Look where I'm at!'" she joked, a hint of mischief dancing in her eyes.

"But it'll just be us," I reminded her softly, noting the weight of always holding her family close, but wished for a moment's escape.

"Yeah..." she sighed, her eyes drifting far off into the horizon, where dreams mingled with reality.