Prologue

The London night seemed to know the woman's crime and to be wanting to make it more difficult for her than it already was

She tried to cover her two daughters, especially the baby in the bassinet, from the rain. But all her efforts seemed to be in vain.

Her eldest daughter tried to tell her every chance she got how tired she was, that she wanted to go home, and that she wanted her mother to silence the baby's incessant cries that were beginning to dull her ears and make her desperate, remarking that the whole of London would wake up if Felicity didn't shut up once and for all.

Finally, after a long walk, they arrived at the orphanage. Dorothea ordered her daughter to wait for her in a corner and not to move, the girl obeyed, wishing simply to go home now.

The woman bent down to set the basket on the ground, grateful that the rain had at least done her the favour of getting her face so wet that it was now impossible to tell what were raindrops and what were tears.
The baby, who was rolled up in sheets, kept crying and wouldn't stop. Her mother bent down until she could kiss the forehead of her little head gently.

One last kiss.

"I'm sorry, my little Felicity," she whispered, her voice breaking.

She had to force herself to get up from the floor or she would never be able to go on. She wiped the tears uselessly from her eyes and slammed the door of the orphanage loudly, amplifying the baby's cries.

Before anyone could answer her calls, she grabbed her eldest daughter by the arm and dragged her out of the orphanage, out into the rain, disappearing into the stormy night without a witness, without a trace.

An older woman opened the door of the orphanage with small, sleepy eyes, searching unsuccessfully for the person who had knocked so fiercely on the door that she almost woke the entire orphanage. But the only thing she could hear once outside was the baby's cry, which was in symphony with the rain.

Isadora woke up with a start when she saw the bassinet on the floor and the little bundle between the sheets. She left the lamp she had brought with her on the floor and hurried to pick up the baby.

It was not the first time she had received a baby in such an inhumane manner, but still, it did not fail to squeeze the woman's heart.

He looked for an ID, a name, a letter, anything, in the basket, but found nothing.
Normally, the children at least arrived with a name embroidered on the sheet, but apparently they hadn't even bothered to do that with this poor creature.

"Let's go inside, little one, to the warmth. You'll feel better after a nap," she whispered to the still crying baby, trying to lull her to sleep.

She could not leave the child without a name. She was in enough pain knowing that someone had dumped the poor, helpless creature. So as Isadora made her way to the orphanage's cots, she thought of one. But none of them made sense to the woman.

When she got to the cots, Isadora worried that they didn't have enough room for the baby to sleep alone, lately people were becoming less compassionate and abandoning more babies, one worse than the other, so the orphanage was almost overcrowded with homeless children.

"Oh look, good news, little one, there's one all to yourself," Isadora smiled as she saw the purple cot in the corner.

Before she could open the door to the place, it was as if her head suddenly clicked.

"Evangeline..."

The baby immediately stopped crying, bringing a smile to Isadora's face.

"Evangeline it is, then. Come here, little Ev, let us rest."