Science fiction neo world!

Global warming has risen considerably and this has led to drastic climate change across the Globe. With many regions experiencing extremely hot Summers, and constant showers of rain that inundates the cities in a matter of days. Most of the cities are at the verge of collapse because the rising water levels leave their technological networks, like IOT and AI, defunct due to heavy flooding. There is complete mayhem and the governments are failing to manage the populace that is losing their trust in the system and its management of the current crisis. And most them feel cheated their respective governments favouritism when it comes to offering safe and well protected sanctuaries to the elite few.

When you take a long spanning view of the cities, and the areas in site, there is water, almost everywhere, and the only entity happy in this water kingdom is none other than Poseidon. His domain is increasing and it has become boundless, and with His reign extending almost everywhere, humans are forced to define a new world order and new governing system that is more Global and partly regional.

In the midsts of these changing scenarios few of the senior scientists are being consulted to offer solutions to prevent the cities from sinking, and to deal with the rising water levels. Until humans build new smart cities capable of coping with rapidly evolving climatic conditions and growing water levels.

In the world where Poseidon rules, few scientists come up with extremely brave ideas, to first tame and then dethrone the Olympian presiding over the seas and the new water kingdom, which is posing the greatest threat to the survival of humans. And these scientists are least desultory and they possess the genius capable of despoiling part of Poseidon's magical wand before the Olympian turns into a despot.

With most of the cities experiencing inundation, the scientists propose to study a plant that grows in arid regions. It is a small plant that almost appears dead with burnt leaves, with almost no foliage, just a lump of dry shoots and a mesh of brown threads hanging around, and being swept across with the fanning winds. When there is intense heat and the area experiences no rainfall at all ( i.e. in the past ) it enters into self induced dormancy for decades, and whenever it rains the small plant turns green in a matter of a few days. Regaining its vitality with green foliage and shoots that look tender and juicy.

While the scientists are discussing the ability of this plant to prevent cities from getting flooded, one of the government officials expresses her keenness to understand how it would be of any use at all.

"Well these plants are unique. They tend to absorb a lot of water to revive themselves from self induced hibernation. And without sounding as if we are forcing a departure from the normal and sensible bio-engineering practices, we propose to alter its growth hormone. That would help us to regulate its height, length of its branches, diameter of its shoots and length of its leaves.

If we refer to data from prehistoric times, Earth did undergo a similar phase prior to entering into the Ice Age. It experienced continuous rain, it is this climatic condition that actually gave rise to plants with broader and thicker leaves, in rainforests of today, like Amazon.

With thicker shoots, longer stems, and thicker leaves, these plants will tend to soak in a lot of water. And also turn the air fresher by increasing the content of oxygen in the air. And these plants will have to be planted in catchment areas where we intend to drain the excess water. These catchment areas will be tiered. And this plant will be introduced to the mid-layer of the catchment area when there is heavy rainfall.

But we are not referring to catchment areas as large as a football field, these catchment areas have to be as large as 200 acres or more. And they will be the part of smart cities, which will be flood proof. The density of these plants will be determined based on the rainfall experienced in the target region/s.