- c h a p t e r - s i x -

Gemma stared at the two in shock–ignoring the Hogwarts Express screaming down the tracks and away for the night.

Harry and Tonks stood there–the former's face and shirt covered in blood, his Invisibility Cloak over his arm.

At the sight of all the blood, Gemma dropped her bag on the platform and rushed to him–hugging him tightly before her hands hovered over his bruised and broken face.

"Who did this?" She questioned lowly–her voice shaking.

"Draco Malfoy," Harry told her bitterly–probably embarrassed. He looked at Tonks, "Thanks for...well..."

Despite the anger that surged through her at the attacker of her brother, Gemma's head snapped over to her–excitement bubbling and then vanishing in her gut within a few seconds of one another.

Tonks looked just as miserable as she did that night at the Burrow–but she forced a smile for Gemma and murmured, "Happy birthday, Gemothy. My gift should be waiting for you on your bed."

Gemma didn't really care about the gift–but the fact that she got to see at least one person who was important to her on her birthday outside of her friends and brother was a gift enough.

She wrapped her arms around Tonks–holding her for a moment before pulling away and just catching the Auror wiping a tear from her face before she replied to Harry, "No problem. I can fix your nose if you stand still."

Harry nodded, closing his eyes.

"Episkey," Tonks said.

Gemma grimaced a little as Harry's nose repaired itself.

Her brother opened his eyes–running a hand over his nose before exclaiming, "Thanks a lot!"

"You two'd better put that cloak back on, and we can walk up to the school," Tonks said in a drab voice.

Gemma moved to grab her bag as Tonks waved her wand, and a silvery animal shot from the end.

The Lupin girl's eyes widened at the sight of the wolf that darted into the trees.

A wolf.

"Was that a Patronus?" Harry asked as Gemma joined him under the cloak.

"Yes, I'm sending word to the castle that I've got you two or they'll worry. Come on, we'd better not dawdle."

Gemma moved in stride with Harry–careful not to trip as they hurried to the castle.

"How did you find me?" Harry asked Tonks.

"I noticed you hadn't left the train and I knew you had that cloak. I thought you might be hiding for some reason. When I saw the blinds were drawn down on that compartment I thought I'd check..." Tonks explained. "And Gemma was still waiting–so I figured you really hadn't gotten off the train."

"But what are you doing here, anyway?"

"I'm stationed in Hogsmeade now, to give the school extra protection."

Gemma felt a spark of relief at the news that Tonks would be so close to Hogwarts over the term.

Then she had a thought, "Who else is—"

"Proudfoot, Savage, and Dawlish are here too."

"Oh..."

Gemma failed to hide her disappointment as Harry quickly asked, "Dawlish, that Auror Dumbledore attacked last year?"

"That's right..." Tonks replied–giving Gemma a regretful glance or tried to despite the cloak.

They walked for a long while in silence–long enough for Gemma to sink into a little bit of a rabbit hole of trying to figure out why Tonks was in such a bad spot.