♕ | four ;

"Hey, Kee?" I call, to which I nearly throw half of my gear off of my bed by lifting up the blanket. The operator walks toward my room, before stepping into the doorway. He's brushing his teeth, watching me with furrowed eyebrows. "Have you seen my gloves?"

"You lost them?" He asks, raising an eyebrow. "Didn't Logan just give you a pair?" He did. When we arrived, he was able to find me a pair of gloves that would stop my fingers from turning blue in the terrain. I let out a soft groan, just as Kee prods at my gear with his good hand before spinning around my room.

"It's gone." I say. 

"Or you lost them." I roll my eyes.

"Oh, whatever."

- - -

The final checkpoint overlooks the entire deal. We broke away from the forest and entered a small town in the depths of the night. It was fucking freezing and I rubbed my hands together, before blowing on them. I was located on the second floor, watching over the lane that Roze and Zimo were going to arrive at. Konig was beside me, noticing me rubbing my hands together. My scar aches, almost as if the skin is tightening. 

Goddamn, the cold will be the death of me. I can't even use my Karma-senses as a backup plan to get me out of bad situations. Wait. Did I just use 'Karma-senses' in my thoughts?! 

I have to stop talking to Kee. 

The building was nearly collapsed, with pieces of exposed walls and half of the foundation sticking out of the ground. I exhale into the air, shivering slightly as my hands felt frozen enough to be icicles. "Cold, little sniper?" Konig questions, leaning in toward me. I suddenly understand why he would wear a mask. I pull up my scarf, shaking my head once. He lets out a soft chuckle and grabs my hand.

"What are you..." He flattens my palm against his wrist and slides the tip of my fingers underneath the seam of his glove. His hand is warm. I push my palm up against his own, my fingers line up with his. God... he's huge. Just the differences between our hands, it was so... Konig leans toward me, offering up his other hand.

"Better, Liebling?" I wrinkle my brow at the word, unsure of its meaning. Probably another way to say sniper.

"Yeah. Thanks." I stick my hand against his other, to which he curls his fingers slightly over my own. I lean toward him, the temperature in the dead of the night nothing compared to when it's daytime. It's a fucking miracle that Zimo and Roze were able to even get their humvee started.

I gaze through the scope of the sniper, just as their car pulls into the empty street. I see something flit through the alleyways adjacent to the street. Alarms ring through my head. "Stop. Do not proceed until clear." The command is received with a quick word from Roze. I draw my hands away from Konig, albeit reluctantly, and place them on my scope.

I zoom out slighty, wondering if there's something to confirm my sights. "What is it?" Konig murmurs.

"The alleyway." I slide the sniper across the rubble, exploring the shadows. What did I see? A person? An object? The breeze? And again, another glint from that direction. "Has the client moved?"

Konig responds. "No. This can only be a threat." The colonel finally catches sight of it. A flashing light? Is it the electricity going down or...? "It's... Morse code." What? With the way it's positioned in the alley, there is no way that the people going down the street can see it. This means that...

"The street. It's completely empty." There are no cars parked on the sides, no manholes, no street lamps. Why would a main road be so... deserted?

I begin to count the flashes, but Konig already begins to piece the letters together. "L... o... o... k..." Look? What? Who is this from? "Up."