1. firestarter

𝖋𝖎𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖗𝖙𝖊𝖗

*

*

A/N: Was writing this as a oneshot expecting it to be done like six days ago or smth ridiculous like that land it got too long, which has happened to me how many times now??!!

So because I hate myself and I made another short story. (Zalen don't kill me) I can't write anything too plotty for some reason or I'll literally die, so this fic might come off a little slow? I had fun writing it though and if literally one person enjoys it then I'll be happy.

Also no real cover because I just didn't wanna make one also I don't think most of my followers will even glance at this so I am fine w leaving it a lavender rectangle forever.
If all goes well this'll be three chapters (if I don't go crazy which I don't think I will) and two are completely done already so after I post this one and edit the second I'm two thirds done already.

If anyone reads lmk what you think and if they/them Maki is too hard to follow I finally got used to it after 3k words, but sometimes I STILL messed up and wrote she cause I am writing Maki as she/her in like everything else (in my 3+ NbMk drafts that is...) so yeah I just felt the need to mention that.

Oh and question! How's S2 of JJK treating you guys? The KFC breakup happened and my fyp on tiktok is flooded w satosugu someone sedate me.

"Maki Zenin is recovering from severe injuries, including a broken leg, second and third-degree burns, on the right and left arm, face, and mild head trauma. Upon questioning, the patient was unable to answer any questions pertaining to the incident, and does not remember how they arrived at the hospital."

The nurse reads in a monotone as if reading off of a script. Her eyes glued to her clipboard tracking over the words that report what happened to Maki with a bored indifference. It was as if they weren't a real person. Mai is already seething but trying not to show it, she's had far too many encounters at this hospital where she's had to maintain a cordial attitude. It was against her nature.

She's eager to get out of here, today is Maki's last day in the hospital. Here it's so cold and clinical, something about hospitals makes her get goosebumps and get a dreadful feeling in her stomach. Always making her feel even worse than normal, like a viscous energy draining her. Though she supposed where they were going, wasn't going to be much better than this.

Maki was going to be so pissed when she woke up.

"...Zenin's twin sister," The nurse looks up at Mai and then back at Maki as if she can't really believe they're twins. She has stopped reading from the clipboard by now, but somehow still sounds as impersonal as before.

"Says she will be continuing care at their Family estate. Miss Zenin will continue meds for five weeks, and continue to see a physical therapist for 3 and a half months as per the Doctor's recommendation. Zenin's physical therapist will be Kugisaki, who is 3 years certified for in-home care. Any questions?"

At this point, she's probably not expecting Mai to ask any questions but there is one she wants to ask. The doctor waits at the side, he's clearly not really caring and just waiting for her to sign Maki out. Maki has designated her as their only Emergency Contact, otherwise, it would have been their mother here which no one wants truly. Mai poses the question to Maki's doctor.